Powersteering threads striped for pressing the pully on.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Powersteering threads striped for pressing the pully on..

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Powersteering threads striped for pressing the pully on..

My pump is brand new however when I installed it i pushed the pully on too far and it has been eating up my belts like crazy.. I have belt shavings all over my engine... So the other day I rented a pully/install kit and pulled the pully out slightly but i turned the bolt 1 turn too far and now its slightly pulled out lol by maybe 2mm or so.. I wouldnt think that would affect the belt but my brand new belt is chirping and when i look on the ribs they are shiny in some spots in the gorges if that makes sense ? Its like my belt is slipping somehow I dont see how tho.. I have a new tensioner as well..

So i installed the press back on and threaded the small long bolt as far as it would go in and did the usuall to push it in some.. However it just turns and turns.. The inside threads on the pully shaft are stripped i guess.. How I dont know... How do i fix this ?? Because either my pully being slightly miss aligned like this by only 2-3mm is causing my belts to shred flakes all over my engine bay and I mean ALL over.. or something else is doing it..

Also the other belt i took off that flung shreded peices all over my engine.. Chunks of it it were melted off on my power steering pully.. I had to gently scrapthem off the pully... something isnt right... and when i say shreded peices i mean like.. you know when you take an eraser and erase something and have little rubber peices left over... That is what is all over my engine bay

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

If the threads are stripped you'll likely need to get another pump and pulley. You could try to tap the pulley back a little since the pump may be junk anyway.
Maybe get the early ZJ setup with bracket, pump, metal pulley.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Im thinking of just installing my old pump back on... Grr, removing the reservoir on my new one. Install my old pump.. The only problem is my old pump one of the 3 mounting holes on it broke off... Gah this is so frustrating.. this power steering issue has been going on for 2 years now.. Belts, leaking, ect ect... I friggin hate this....

Could I try maybe to put a peice of wood behind the pump, and somehow get a clamp in there and press to the pully on 2-3mm with the C clamp.. Maybe I could get a bigger bolt and thread it in there and a nut and washer and see if the threads hold out with a bigger bolt
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

again, early ZJ stuff
you push the pulley on the whole way and the alignment is right.
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

What do you mean ? I did the 4.0 with no issue when the powersteering went bad i got a new one.. Pressed it on like you said all the way and it hasnt had any belt issues for months.... But dam this 5.9 i sware im gonna run it off the side of a cliff..

edit: do you mean get a pump from a 95 under.. Get the whole pump and metal pully and the bracket on it assuming it isnt broken lol. Guess I'll try that..
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Just what I was reading over on speedfreaks. On a niner, you may need to shim the pump to get the alignment right. Never heard of that with an early ZJ. The bracket and pulley are different on early ZJs. No expert, so I'll let the ninerdudes chime on in.
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Just to throw my $0.02 in. I was reading and researching and trying to find somebody that had sucessfully swapped a <95 pump/pulley/bracket into a 2nd gen. ZJ. Some people said it worked, some people said it needed shimming, some people said it didn't work. I finally got around to looking at my own PS pump in my niner and, wouldn't you know it, I have a metal pulley on there already. Something from the PO (or POS, as I like to call him) I guess.

I'm on my third belt in three months. I can't seem to get the ****ing thing to line up right, either.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Its anoying !!!!! No matter what I do.. what I replace.. my belts go bad within a few weeks or a month or less even... Like this new belt i have on.. its only 3 days old.. with 50 miles on it and its already chirping when im driving.... The pully is off by so little i can barely see the gap when i use my carpenters level tool.... UHG...
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

I broke out the laser level the other day. I've taken a brush to every one of the pulleys to get rid of all the debris, the belt has the right tension, everything spins as true as I can measure, and at three weeks, exactly, the belt starts chirping. Put a little Dawn dish detergent on it and it shuts up for a week or so but after that it's over.

I am using cheap belts, though. Think that could contribute? I use Drive Right brand or something (The $8 Advance Auto flavor). I don't know if I want to start ponying up $40 for Gates belts if they're going to go bad too.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

What the heck are you guys doing? I had to cut the metal sleeve off of the shaft with a dremmel then put the new stock pulley on. I think it went a tad to far on but I left it and it's been fine ever since. I have a pretty nice belt though. It's not a gator back but it's similar.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I have tried 3 diff kinds.. the one i have on right now is dayco its like a $35 belt
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

What size is the hole where the pully is on the shaft to be pressed on ? Maybe I can find a strong bolt thats slightly bigger with more aggressing threads to grab hold and push that pully on a tad more
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
What size is the hole where the pully is on the shaft to be pressed on ? Maybe I can find a strong bolt thats slightly bigger with more aggressing threads to grab hold and push that pully on a tad more
Or maybe a socket and tap it?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Yea I just bought a Pully installer kit for $20 at harbor frieght so i dont have to keep renting them, and I got a die and tap set and some 3/8-7-16 helicoils just gonna drill it out and make new threads and put a helicoil in there.. But I'll try to re-tap the original threads and see if i can get them to hold.
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Ok I fixed it.. I just rethreaded the whole and it worked. Pushed my pully on another 1-2mm to line up with my carpenters level.. tripple and quad checked it... My belt is brand new like 4 days old and it has shiny glazed patchs in the grooves all over already lol.. I took a flat tip screw driver and gently scraped all the glazed rubber off where the shiny patchs were to keep the belt from slipping in those spots... Hopefully they wont develope now that the pully is perfectly alinged.. One thing I do notice is no more chirping.

Btw... what causes glazing of the belt grooves... Im starting to find that a missaligned pully doesnt glaze grooves so i have found.. but in fact its alluminum pully's that glaze them... I wonder if spray painting my alternator and A/C pully black would fix that lol.. Or that it isnt on tight enough.. but I have a brand new tensioner on from advance auto....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.