Powering another amp off of infinity amp? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Powering another amp off of infinity amp?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-31-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
whatpavment?
1996 ZJ 

Powering another amp off of infinity amp?

Is this possible? Will it effect the power of the extra amp at all? I don't see why it would but i'm just looking for someone who has maybe done this..

Unread 01-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

i dont think the infinity amp has the correct gauge wiring to handle another amp... i wouldnt do it.. just run the extra wiring to do it the right way. its like using a strand of christmas lights as an extension cord for your microwave... it just doesnt work.
Unread 01-31-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
whatpavment?
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarjeep
i dont think the infinity amp has the correct gauge wiring to handle another amp... i wouldnt do it.. just run the extra wiring to do it the right way. its like using a strand of christmas lights as an extension cord for your microwave... it just doesnt work.
Great example!!
Unread 01-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
x2 on that and yes a great example

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
whatpavment?
1996 ZJ 

All i'm really trying to do is hook up a bass tube with a built in amp and I know it doesn't draw to much power. So I was trying to figure a way around running any wires off the battery.
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

i would still do extra wiring...you can blow the Infinity Amp easily...ask me how i know...???cuz i did it!
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatpavment?
All i'm really trying to do is hook up a bass tube with a built in amp and I know it doesn't draw to much power. So I was trying to figure a way around running any wires off the battery.
it wont work... it will just break stuff and be more expensive and more of a hassle than if you did it right the first time. it takes all of 30 minutes or less to run the wires to the battery.
Unread 01-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
whatpavment?
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
it wont work... it will just break stuff and be more expensive and more of a hassle than if you did it right the first time. it takes all of 30 minutes or less to run the wires to the battery.
Point taken Is there a spot with the infinity amp where I can share the ground?
Unread 01-31-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

run the ground to a bolt that goes through the chassis. seat belt or seat bolts are good choices.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
mdsuave13
1997 ZJ 

why do you want to hook the bass tube up to that infinity amp so bad? there are cargo tie downs, seat bolts, seatbelt bolts, etc to use for a ground that would be easier to ground then the infinity amp.. Just pretend that the infinity amp doesn't exist... until you go to hook up your line level inputs.

i would recommend a 10 gauge amp power wire minimum (this will give that bass tube all the juice it needs, plus a lil something extra for room to upgrade in the future) and go with a 10 gauge ground wire about 3-4 feet long...

you can get really cheap amp kits on ebay that have everything you need, minus rca cables...

just look around and get something cheap, otherwise go to the audio store and buy some power cable by the foot and rock and roll it up!
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:16 PM   #11
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

yup back when i wanted to install a bass tube i tried hooking into the infinity amp for shared wiring and it blew like all hell..i had no sound at all....i had to search all over for a new amp and got one for 500 bucks from the dealer in 98 for my 95 Orvis...now of course i have 3 of these Infinity Amps...2 spare -- got em for like 20 bucks a piece! Oh if i could turn back time.....lol
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #12
whatpavment?
1996 ZJ 

I have a thick *** wiring kit with the inline fuse and the rca's are already run from my headunit. I was just trying to be lazy and see if there were any short cuts. But I may as well just do it right the first time.
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:42 PM   #13
mdsuave13
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatpavment?
But I may as well just do it right the first time.
smartest thing said throughout this post....

Just remember to not run your amp wire thru the doorjamb! unless you want to see how to weld with a 12v wire and melt your battery

I learned that lesson the hard way a LONG time ago.. luckily i wasnt the person who did it.. watched a friend do it.. lol
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:45 PM   #14
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsuave13
smartest thing said throughout this post....

Just remember to not run your amp wire thru the doorjamb! unless you want to see how to weld with a 12v wire and melt your battery

I learned that lesson the hard way a LONG time ago.. luckily i wasnt the person who did it.. watched a friend do it.. lol
what do you mean by door jamb??? because i run all my wires under the bottom plastic pieces in the door jamb and i know a lot of other people do too.
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:51 PM   #15
mdsuave13
1997 ZJ 

i mean, don't run your power wires from under the hood, between the fender and windsheild thru the door jamb and into the car, run it thru the firewall with either using a rubber boot or using a unibit and extension to make a new hole somewhere to run it into the car...

you can run the power wire under the plastic pieces all day next the seats and stuff...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.