Power windows/locks/keyless lock doesn't work - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-23-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
matt21484
2004 WJ 

Power windows/locks/keyless lock doesn't work

So I went out to my car on my lunch break, and noticed that all the interior lights were on while I was driving. They were not on earlier today when I drove to work. I changed the dimmer setting all the way to off, but no luck. No doors were open either. I opened and closed all of them to be sure, even though the overhead display didn't show anything either.
Then when I tried to roll down my windows, only the two on the driver side went down. The two passenger windows didn't budge. I tried using both sets of switches too, (on the driver door and on each passenger door. Last problem, the lock/unlock switch on the driver side, only locks/unlocks the driver door.
The passenger door lock/unlock switch doesn't do anything. I'm thinking the fuses may be going out, but I have no idea

Help!!!

I have an 04 Limited WJ, let me know if you need more info.

So found a couple of threads, looks like I'm going to check the battery terminals for crud buildup and clean those, then remove the rubber water/dirt gasket in the doorjam to see if anything is cracked/split. Any other thoughts are appreciated though!

Blue Jeep Club Member #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlynd1978 View Post
Any one who tells me it "can fit" is the person i ask to find me some one more knowledgeable about what im looking for. I mean, diesel can fit in your gas tank, Trans fluid fits in your oil pan, fat women fit in your bed. Just cause it can doesnt mean you should.

Last edited by matt21484; 03-23-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM
2500WJ
2004 WJ 

try moving the mirrors/windows on the DS door. If they don't work, it's most likely a broken ground wire in the door harness which is a common problem with the WJ. You stated though, that the door locks only used to work for the DS. It sounds to me like you have multiple wires that are bad in both the DS and PS doors. Even if the insulation on the wires is intact though, the wires inside may be bad. Run you hands along the wires and look for weak spots (which would indicate the wire is broken inside the insulation).
post #3 of 23 Old 03-23-2009, 02:57 PM
DothanJeep
1997 ZJ 

Check the rubber boots in your doors.

00' WJ 4'' IRO 285 Tire...Ect-SOLD 7/2/2009
98' ZJ STORM TROOPIN' SOLD
97' ZJ with 117K THE DD mi SOLD
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-23-2009, 03:07 PM
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Without reading much, it sounds like you've got a wire broken inside the rubber tube between the door and kick panel.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-23-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
matt21484
2004 WJ 

thanks, I'll be sure to check those rubber boots asap. Is it pretty easy to pry those from the door? I'm guessing you can use a small screwdriver?

Quote:
Any one who tells me it "can fit" is the person i ask to find me some one more knowledgeable about what im looking for. I mean, diesel can fit in your gas tank, Trans fluid fits in your oil pan, fat women fit in your bed. Just cause it can doesnt mean you should.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM
fivespeedsteed

isnt there a body controller computer that deals wiht all the locks windows , ect too? checked fuses?

2007 Ford F150
1990 Mustang GT
post #7 of 23 Old 03-27-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
matt21484
2004 WJ 

So on the front passenger door, I was able to remove the boot from the door, and from the frame. I also have the wiring harness disconnected, but is there a way to remove the boot from the wiring harness so I can solder/reconnect the black (ground I'm assuming) cable that I found to be severed in half?
I haven't had a chance to check the driver side cable group, the boot on that side is more stubborn than the passenger.

Quote:
post #8 of 23 Old 03-27-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
matt21484
2004 WJ 

Here is a picture of what I'm working with. Any thoughts on how to reconnect this wire?
Sorry for the lower quality, but it's my cell phone. Camera battery is dead.
Attached Thumbnails
jeep.jpg  

Quote:
post #9 of 23 Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
matt21484
2004 WJ 

Ok so I never got a chance to work on this over the weekend, but my plan of attack is to buy the same gauge wire and either solder it together or use wiring caps. Does anyone object or have any other ideas/tips?

-I checked the wiring on the driver side and everything seemed to be fine. But the keyless entry doesn't work for anything other than the driver door, would that indicate a problem with the driver side rear door wiring?

Please Help!!!!

Quote:
post #10 of 23 Old 03-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Saxidani
2004 WJ 

The GC is an electrical nightmare

I actually posted here a few days ago with the same exact issue that you are suffering with now with my own 2004 Grand Cherokee. I feel your pain. After searching the vast internet for an answer we were able to fix it.

First with my jeep, the passenger side door window stopped working, and dropped. Then all of the interior lights wouldn't turn off, power locks, mirrors and keyless entry system stopped working as well. Plus getting painfully zapped everytime I touched the car was downright painful.

That busted big black wire in your picture is the ground wire. I went out and bought the Chilton for my Jeep, it was helpful to have. We used 12 gauge flexible wire and replaced as much of it as we could by splicing it, then re-wrapped the new wire with heat shrink tubing. Things were easier for us once we removed the panel covering and everything from the door.

The wire itself in there is not flexible wire and is not suited for the constant flexing that it will endure every time the door is opened and closed. You'll need flexible wire if you don't want to have to do this over and over again.

You'll need at least two sets of hands to get the boot and everything else back into place. Also make sure that you check all of the connectors in the door and under the dash to ensure nothing was knocked loose from all of the moving,tugging and pulling. When I was done, all of the lights on the left side of me GC were not working, the speedometer was dead, all of the warning lights on the dash would not turn off, and my turn signals were nearly seizure inducing.... after checking all of the connectors we got everything back to normal.

The design, quality and location of these wires has got to be the dumbest feat of engineering on the planet, and should be a source of shame for Jeep. The constant flexing and compression of the rubber boot and the stiff wires inside cause it to quickly wear,fray and eventually split.

What's worse is according to my internet research this very issue has been a thorn in the side of numerous grand cherokee owners for nearly ten years, it plagues this vehicle. This wiring fault should have been recalled by Jeep... they however refuse to admit to the design flaw and have done nothing about it, no surprise there. With that being said, theres no surprise that four dealerships in my area have been shut down and the nearest Jeep dealership is now over and hour away.
post #11 of 23 Old 03-31-2009, 03:56 PM
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

Check the wiring harnesses on both drivers and passenger side doors. This seems to be a pretty common problem with 2004 WJ's.

2001 WJ Laredo 4.0L - Sold!
2009 WK Limited 5.7L HEMI
post #12 of 23 Old 03-31-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
matt21484
2004 WJ 

the only wire I've found to be broken, is the one in the picture. to me it sounds hard to believe that it would cause all the issues above. One thing I forgot, is that the driver side mirror works fine, the passenger does not. I am going to try to perform the same surgery that saxidani described.

Did you get the wiring from Home Depot/Lowes? Thats where I was going to head on my lunch break tomorrow as a HD is less than a block away.

Quote:
post #13 of 23 Old 03-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Saxidani
2004 WJ 

It's amazing what one little broken wire can do.... we couldn't believe it either. All of the other wires were still intact in my drivers side door and in the boot, the ground wire was the only one severed. Once we repaired that wire and tightened all of the connectors, and re-connected the battery everything was back to normal. All of my fuses were still functioning too.

The problem was progressive, once the passenger side window failed it was as if the problem continued to cascade from there over the next few hours.

I picked up the wire and shrink tubing I needed at my local Napa autoparts store. The flexible wire will be slightly more expensive but worth it. Home Depot might have it, but I'm not sure.

I hope this goes well for you and that you get your jeep up and running.
post #14 of 23 Old 03-31-2009, 05:41 PM
horatio102
Web Wheeler

That ground wire is the common ground for the mirror, window, and lock. That's why when it fails, everything fails.

Mine would connect when I closed the door, but as soon as I opened the door, the connection would split. Then after a while it just got to the point where none of it worked.

If your window really did drop in the door, then it sounds like the regulator might have gone too.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-31-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
matt21484
2004 WJ 

the two windows that work, work fine, the rest (thank god) are stuck in the up position, oh my sunroof works fine also. I'll try to hit up HD tomorrow and maybe work on this in the garage tom night. How did you connect the new wire though? solder, caps, electrical tape????

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.