Power Windows and Door Locks don't work!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power Windows and Door Locks don't work!!

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 11-26-2003, 01:21 PM   #1
JoshR

Power Windows and Door Locks don't work!!

We just bought a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and we really like it. It's in very good shape, but just the other day, we were out, and all of a sudden, the keyless lock worked on all the doors except the driver's door, and the power windows stopped working except the passenger side front controlled by it's own switch.
t
I was getting ready to get a Hayne's manual, but I don't think it will help with diagnosing the problem.

If all the doors and widows and locks quit, I would assume it might be a fuse or something, but since it is partial, I'm not sure. I haven't looked at the fuses real good yet, because I was waiting to get the manual.

Any ideas????

JoshR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2003, 04:36 PM   #2
Stocker

A common problem area is the wiring harness connector in the driver's door jamb. Some of the harnesses were too short - in any case, pull back the rubber boot and look at the wiring. You may find broken or corroded wires, which you can usually fix. Also make sure the little torx screw that holds the connector together is snug. Good luck!
Unread 11-28-2003, 08:07 AM   #3
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Ditto what stocker said. That is a very common problem...

CHeck carefully for broken wires...
Unread 11-28-2003, 09:34 AM   #4
JoshR

Thanks guys. I took the rubber boot loose as much as I could and rolled it back and there appear to be three wires that have a black tape splice in the middle of them. I tried to move them a little to get them to reconnect if that was the problem, but no luck so far.

Everything is really tight in there and little or no room to work on the wires or get the rubber boot out of the way. Do I have to take the door panel off to get to these and check the connector at the power panel on the door too, or is there an easier way. The Haynes manual shows door removal, but doesn't really address this part of things. And I can't really figure out an easy way to access these.
JoshR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2003, 09:42 AM   #5
Stocker

I've never been into the door, sorry. But if you found taped wires, definitely remove the tape and see what's under there. Chances are the old repair wasn't done right; may have been twisted together & not soldered, for instance. And if you make new repairs, use heat shrink tubing instead of tape.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.