Power windows, can't locate the problem wire! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power windows, can't locate the problem wire!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Power windows, can't locate the problem wire!

Alright, so here's what's up. A few months ago my power windows stopped working, all of them at the same time. Well it's been cold so i never bothered with it. Well it's started to heat up some so I figured I'd try and get the windows working again. Well yesterday I took the inside panel off of the door, and attempted to find any broken wires going to the main window switch. Well I found that with some wiggling on the drivers wires, and replugging in a switch in the door, I was able to get the windows to roll down. Great no problem right? Well not really. I went and closed all of my doors. Tried to roll the windows up... No power So after playing around with it some, I happened to open the passenger rear door. Suddenly the windows worked again! So I figured it must be a problem with the wires near that door. I took that door apart, searching for a bad wire. I found that there is a tear in the green wire, so I wiggled it around, trying to get the windows to work. Nothing.

Now we're at the place I am now, I had to go to work and all my windows were down so I parked the jeep and drove a different car, well now I've bee messing with the wires and can't seam to find any sort of break in the connection either on the drivers door or on the passenger rear door. Any thoughts as to how I can track down the wire?

I doubt as anyone can really help, buuut I just needed to type out all of this so that maybe I can think it through some...

I did check the fuses and the circuit breaker that goes to the windows, it's not broken (checked with a multimeter). I know the main window switch DID work, and unless it's suddenly broken to, the only other option is some pos wire somewhere... Ugggh

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Are you looking inside the door itself or behind the rubber boot in the door jamb between the hinges? Most of the problems are inside the rubber boots, you can carefully take the rubber boot off the connector on the door side, then stuff the rubber boot/grommet into the body side to gain access to the wiring. I forgot the wire color but its either orange and/or red and there is also a black wire. Just look for broken wires and there may be more than one. There may also be wiring breaks in other doors too.
jnicewan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Are you looking inside the door itself or behind the rubber boot in the door jamb between the hinges? Most of the problems are inside the rubber boots, you can carefully take the rubber boot off the connector on the door side, then stuff the rubber boot/grommet into the body side to gain access to the wiring. I forgot the wire color but its either orange and/or red and there is also a black wire. Just look for broken wires and there may be more than one. There may also be wiring breaks in other doors too.
Well actually both, I did take the boot off and try looking around it, doesnt move much so theres a good bit of wire I havent gotten tp check. I'll try that idea next time o get a chance to work on it.

Unread 02-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Yea, you should be able to stuff most of the boot inside the body of the jeep, inspect/fix wires then pull boot back through and put back where it goes. On my jeep I found both the power wire and ground wire broken in the drivers door, and power wire in pass rear door so far. Also most of the time when windows didnt work, you could open the door and they might work, you might try that just to get the windows up
jnicewan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Yea, you should be able to stuff most of the boot inside the body of the jeep, inspect/fix wires then pull boot back through and put back where it goes. On my jeep I found both the power wire and ground wire broken in the drivers door, and power wire in pass rear door so far. Also most of the time when windows didnt work, you could open the door and they might work, you might try that just to get the windows up
Okay awesome! I'll for sure check that out! And yeah I've tried that a couple times actually. hahaha It's parked in my garage though so I'm not too worried. I'll try this and report back on it!

Unread 02-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

For all windows to stop working, check power and ground wires in drivers door rubber boot as jnicewan mentioned.

TN (Tan) = Power +12v
BK (Black) = Ground

You can also test for power/ground at the drivers door window switch connector.
Same TN and BK wire colors. Key ON to test for power.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Found it! Ends up it was the grounding wire in the drivers door. I had seen a split wire before, but since the p.o. Had replaced the whole stereo, I thought it was just left over wire. Well I found both ends touched em and windows worked! So hopefully theyll stay working and I wont find any other wires messed up.

Unread 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same issue right now going to check mine out here in afew.

1993 Wrangler, Rock Smashing Jeep, and November 2012 YJOTM... [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rockcrawling-yj-build-1428039/"]YJ Build[/URL]
1.5" SOA, Stak 3 speed Tcase, 37" Swamper M16's...ALOTS of extras
Pawjob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.