Power Steering Reservoir Replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power Steering Reservoir Replacement?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
jeeper772
1995 ZJ 

Power Steering Reservoir Replacement?

Was replacing the hoses (return and high pressure) and the "nipple" that comes off the reservoir to the return hose broke off. Pump was fine, was replacing the high pressure line (leak) and decided to replace all hoses/assembly. Can you just replace the reservoir? Without getting a new pump as well? My pump is fine, and probably overdue for a new one, but I'm broke and don't want to spend the $60 on a whole new pump/reservoir, although I probably should. Any ideas or quick fixes/hints/tips? I assume JB weld would not be a good idea on this particular piece, being plastic (and I assume high pressure on the way back into the pump reservoir?)

I should probably just get a new one, but I can only find rebuilt ($60) with reservoir. If I do anything, I'll at least replace the belt as well. Live and learn my friends, but it's hella fun. (Except when you're broke and need a car!)

Unread 10-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I dunno dude, I messed with my power steeering and my harmonic balancer broke. Took two weeks to find the problem.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Looks like the reservoir is part #52006395 on www.moparpartsoverstock.com
$62.93

I think you'd be better off getting a rebuilt pump with a reservoir.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I did the same thing and have learned to hate that nipple as a result. I went to a u-pullit junkyard, bought an entire PS unit off a 98 ffor $20 and swapped out the reservoir. It slides off after sliding the keepers off.

Pay attention to the o-ring.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
jeeper772
1995 ZJ 

That's right, best bet is to get one from a junkyard. Pretty easy to swap out the reservoir, just a couple of clips. Couldn't get to one, so I just bought a new pump and reservoir at Oreillys for $60 (have to turn in the core). Might as well since I already had the whole unit off and was replacing both hoses as well. Pretty easy as well, once you get around the rusted on bolts (Lots of patience and PB blaster) and tight space to get to the bolts on the pump (keep trying, I tried a few different tools and got it off without having to pull the radiator/fan shroud). Thanks again guys.
Unread 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
minimika2008
1998 ZJ 

I would just get the new pump and reservoir. Just did this on mine 2 weeks ago. I didn't realize how good my jeep could be on steering until the whole new pump went on. And it was my reservoir that was messed up as well. It's 3 bolts on and off so it's not to bad either! Only bad thing that happened to me is couldn't get the plastic pulley off (even with the power steering pulley puller) and had to buy a new one for the new pump. So costed me around 85 all together at oreillys. But it was worth it. And actually it's a rather fast job. All the bolts that you remove line up with the holes in the pulley when you turn it. Good luck!!!
minimika2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

The dorman resevoirs are just too hokey looking with some kind of globby glue stuff holding the halves of the tank together. When mine went I bought a cardone rebuilt. The resevoir leaked. So I took it back and bought just the pump and tried to use my old resevoir,it leaked. Thats when I looked at the dormans. I just bit the bullet and got oem. Been worry free every since but that puppy was expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.