Power Steering reservoir filter screen - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power Steering reservoir filter screen

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Yoda95
1995 ZJ 

Power Steering reservoir filter screen

Hi all, I have really enjoyed the board, and all of the helpful tips. I try to add my own when I can.

I have the classic whiny power steering pump, and I have tried to fix it with different fluids and additives, but to no avail. I believe it is caused by cavitation, and I would like to repair/poke a hole in/or otherwise mangle the screen filter somewhere in the pump reservoir...which I believe is clogged.

Has anyone located this screen? I have heard it is only replaceable by replacing the reservoir, but if I have to take the pump off to get the reservoir off, then I might as well replace the pump, too. I would rather not do this right now.

If someone knows where this filter screen is located, I would like to drain the reservoir and punch a hole in it with a screwdriver, or pull it out with some needlenose pliers. Anyone know where it is?

Yoda95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I've taken apart and rebuilt my pump and I've got a brand new reservoir waiting to go on right now. There is no screen anywhere in there. Sorry.

Exploded view here for reference: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ssembly=560243
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Yoda95
1995 ZJ 

Thanks, I guess that explains why I couldn't find one with a flashlight. That is a great diagram...but what is #27?

I suppose I will just replace the whole thing eventually and live with the WHINE! It does suck, though.
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I saw that #27 but I don't know what it could be. There's nothing more to the reservoir than the reservoir itself and one oring.

Have you tried purging any trapped air from your system? I saw a pretty good write up from some magazine when I was googling around to find the reservoir seal dimensions but I can't seem to find it now. They had a whole procedure.
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Yoda95
1995 ZJ 

I haven't, and really don't have the place to do it. I am a driveway mechanic, in the parking lot of my apartment complex...so I have to keep the fluid spills to a minimum. If I can do it without spilling a lot of fluid, I will look into it.

How about that 'lock to lock' method I have seen? I tried it a few times and it seemed to work for a while, but as soon as it gets cold again it is noisy. Besides the non-existent screen, where else and what else do you think would cause cavitation or air bubbles? No leaks, and a newer high pressure line was put on before I got it.
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

The article I read mentioned that you can suck air in from the o-ring between the reservoir and the pump. It can be loose enough to let air in but not enough to cause a leak. Besides a leak there is hard to spot as it tends to dribble down between the pump and reservoir, get caught in the brackets and wind, and never get to the ground.
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Yoda95
1995 ZJ 

I think it is just time to bite the bullet and put another pump on. Just ordered one, and will get the belt done, too...so maybe I can do a write up with pics for the n00bs like me!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.