power steering pump leaking ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > power steering pump leaking ?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
jeepunlimited

power steering pump leaking ?

hey guys, well i have a spot on my driveway and i looked underneath, it seemed to be coming from the power steering pump. Its the orignal pump. I cleaned it all off and took it for a 20 minute drive...looked underneath aagain and there are drops of fluid on the bottom of the pump ready to drop onto my driveway.

can anyone tell me if replacement of the power steering pump is a common problem on the 4.0L's ??

also is this a hard job to do guys ?? let me know cause any help would be great. Thanx guys

Bone Stock with the acception of a K+N drop in filter and my aftermarket stereo, also did alot of new tune up wear and tear parts!
366 000 kilometers and stilll runs great :)
purchased for $125 bucks, amazing daily driver for the money
jeepunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
jeepunlimited

can anybody help me out?
Bone Stock with the acception of a K+N drop in filter and my aftermarket stereo, also did alot of new tune up wear and tear parts!
366 000 kilometers and stilll runs great :)
purchased for $125 bucks, amazing daily driver for the money
jeepunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

I would use a degreaser to clean the spot from the driveway... brake clean would probably be the easiest
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

common problem or not things break and leak.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
muddyjgc
2005 WK 

I'm not sure about it being a common problem, but I had to replace mine at 140k mi.
It wasn't too hard, it would have taken me only about 2 hrs, and that would have included swapping the pulleys and flushing the fluid out of the steering box. But the first pump that I got leaked worse than the original. The second one didn't. Both the original one and the first bad one seemed to be leaking from where the tank connects to the pump. You will need to buy or rent a pulley puller to remove the pulley from the old pump, and the new pump should have a nut and a long bolt to "press" to pulley onto the new pump. On the vehicle you need to loosen and slip the belt off the pump, disconnect the pressure and return lines and remove the 3 bolts that hold the pump to the bracket through the holes in the pulley. Remove the pump and swap the pulleys and the rest is reverse of the removal.
muddyjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Try to pinpoint the leak. It could just as easily be the pressure hose.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
ecologito
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am dealing with the same issue, this time I am replacing the pump for the third time. Two of them were bad right off the box from Advance Auto Parts. Their rebuilt stuff is a pain in the Axle. If this one is bad I will go ahead and buy a brand new one from napa.
ecologito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

there's good reason i don't buy many parts from vatozone(advance is the same).

pumps are wear items, they're guaranteed to go bad at some point.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
ecologito
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I can't find a brand new one locally, I stopped at advance auto and Napa, all they have are the remanufactured ones.
Unread 07-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Did mine on the ZJ 4.0L at 216K miles. It died in a blaze of glory. $120 and a few hours later, I was up and running. The hardest part certainly was the pulley swap. I rented the puller. Priming the pump was a pain. It took me a few days to figure out how to do that right. I just needed the pump to spin to get me home 350 miles away. Manual steering works just fine.
Unread 07-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #11
ecologito
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Finally got the third pump in and now more leaks. I am wondering how long it is going to take for this one to go sour. In the meantime I will consider myself a pump replacer pro. I've got it down to hour and a half from start to finish including replacing hoses and pulley. Let's see ... at 160,000 miles on a 98 cherokee sport, what other things can go wrong? I do not drive off road...
Unread 07-12-2009, 05:16 AM   #12
Turbonut

On our old ZJ the pump was leaking between the reservoir and pump assembly. Split them and replaced the "O" ring and it was good 'tll it was sold.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.