power steering pump: how to remove old pulley and put on new one? 1997 ZJ V8 5.2 4x4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > power steering pump: how to remove old pulley and put on new one? 1997 ZJ V8 5.2 4x4

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

power steering pump: how to remove old pulley and put on new one? 1997 ZJ V8 5.2 4x4

power steering pump: how to remove old pulley and put on new one? 1997 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2 4x4

I've read you have to rent some kind of "puller". Does anyone have a picture of this "puller" device so I know I am getting the right thing?

Here is what I am dealing with.

Remove this:

Install this:

webhostingdesig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

Does it look like this?

Question how, then, do I get the new pulley on the drive shaft of the power steering pump?
power-steering-pulley-puller.jpg

Unread 07-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

This site says " You do not use a "jaw" type puller on these things."

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ad.php?t=90808

Anyone have a picture of the right puller? Note that I don't have any threads in the center of my pulley, just a hex/allen type inverse nut, so I don't see a place for anything to screw "into".
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
kachink
1998 ZJ 

You need something like this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...fier=2075_0_0_

The kit usually comes with the tools needed to remove and install. There are videos on Youtube showing how to use it.

Jaw type puller isn't strong enough for the press fit. I've done two. One went easy with a similar tool. The other was so tight I bent the 3/8" screw to get it off.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

Looks like I'm answering my own questions here...

This video shows the correct tool and how to use it to remove the power steering pump pulley.

It looks like this:
power-steering-pulley-puller-right-one-jeep-grand-cherokee.jpg

Unread 07-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Will9119
1996 ZJ 

I used this one from Autozone to remove mine. It was a bear to remove. You can rent this tool from any auto parts store and as long as you return it you get your money back.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...aller/_/N-264z
Will9119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

I got a "Powerbuilt" kit for $29 + some from Pep Boys, put it on and started to crank it but it's taking a lot of force, almost pulled a muscle in my back turning the wrenches. My power steering pump is not attached to the block. Should I be doing the pulley removal/installation with the pump on or off the block. My hoses are still installed and I don't want to remove them if I don't have to. I'll get started on this again tomorrow some time.
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
Will9119
1996 ZJ 

Take the pump off. It will allow you to get better leverage. Just get some clamps to keeps the hoses from making a mess while you have it off.
Will9119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will9119 View Post
Take the pump off. It will allow you to get better leverage. Just get some clamps to keeps the hoses from making a mess while you have it off.
x2 - it really takes some torque to get that thing off. I set mine up in a bench vice to do it.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I used the puller like in the autozone link. I didn't take the pump off. The puller tore the metal lip of the pulley sleeve off and there was no part of it for the puller to grip after that. I ended up cutting it off with a dremmel. The new pulley went on easy.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachink View Post
x2 - it really takes some torque to get that thing off. I set mine up in a bench vice to do it.
Technically my power steering pump is off, but still attached to the hoses. I don't want to have to mess with bleeding, messy liquids, etc.

I'll just get muscle into it today and spray it with WD40 too.
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

I was able to get the broken pulley off with longer armed wrenches and two people. I supported the pump in the engine bay on a 1x1" piece of wood so I wouldn't break anything under the power steering pump.

Problem now is I'm stripping/ed the mounting tool. You can kind of see the first few threads are stripped because the first part of the bolt in the pressure tool is too long to let the threads enter far enough into the shaft to catch properly.

Any tips on mounting this pulley onto the power steering pump drive shaft? Mine is half way on.

Unread 07-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

Fixed it was using the wrong bolt. Got the power steering pump on, now the belt wont go on like it did easily before. Now I'm looking for things that can be adjusted because the automatic belt tensioner wont move far enough to let the belt on.
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Take the belt off the idler pulley, put it around the tensioner, then put the wrench on the tensioner and loop the belt around the idler.

This worked! Thanks everyone.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.