power steering pump failed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > power steering pump failed

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
booked101
1997 ZJ 

power steering pump failed

My power steering pump finally failed. Seems like the bearing for the pulley has broken and wobbling like a mofo. I need help finding out what I need to order to fix it. I dont know whether I need just the pump with or without the reservoir or what? Also there are apparently many different kinds of power steering pumps. Help. Im working on getting a pic up.

Unread 08-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

Buy the pump with the reservoir...It makes the job alot easier, and its ussaully only a few dollars difference in price....you will also need a pully remover/installer tool to swap the pulleys...most stores should have them for sale, or I know you can rent them from O'reillys or Autozone....Dont forget to replace the o-rings on the pressure hose....
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
sebian
1995 ZJ 

When my gear box finally went out, I also replaced the power steering pump, and took the opportunity to replace the pressure and return hoses. After 15+ years they get a little brittle, and it never hurts to replace them as preventative maintenance.

Watch out for the cheap plastic aftermarket pullies though. I tried to install one, and could never get it seated correctly, so I left my stock pulley on.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

there was an issue with some of the aftermarket pullies not begin the correct fitment, but not sure if that ever got resolved or what happened. So if you can re use your stock pulley that'd be best. Otherwise, I got my pump off rockauto, no issues as of now. rent a pulley tool or buy one.
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
booked101
1997 ZJ 

Looking at a pump with reservoir at AutoZone. Duralast brand. Going to have my mechanic change it tomorrow morning.
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
booked101
1997 ZJ 

Got the jeep back from the mechanic. Since I picked it up after the shop had closed I didn't get to talk with the mechanic. I have no power steering now. Anything I should check?
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Well that's some fine work they did! Check the reservoir to make sure it's full of fluid up to the mark on the dipstick. Also check to see if you can see fluid all over where it sprung a leak or if your belts slipping/loose.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
booked101
1997 ZJ 

Plenty of fluid, no excess fluid other than what came out of the broken pump yesterday, and the belt and pulley are spinning as they should. Any other suggestions?
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

You may have an air lock in your power steering system somewhere. After installing a new or rebuilt pump the FSM (Factory Service Manual) says you're supposed to jack the front wheels off the ground. Then you turn the steering wheel back and forth 20 time lightly hitting the stops. Don't hold it on a stop turned all the way for more than 2 secs and it should be more like a quick movement turning the other way. Then recheck your power steering fluid level.

Not sure you have the jacks/stands to get both wheels off the ground but this is the procedure to follow. You probably aren't go to be able to do this with the wheels on the ground with no power steering and it might damage something. It probably wouldn't hurt to try turning it just a couple times but if you feel any binding quit. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.