Power Steering Pulley (or oh f*** not again) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power Steering Pulley (or oh f*** not again)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Power Steering Pulley (or oh f*** not again)

Went out for a drive the other night, backroads through the mountains around here, got about a block away from home and pull up to a stop light.

*wump wump* *thud*

[expletive]

Pulled over and wandered back to where I was stopped, yep, picked the power steering pulley off the ground and took it back to the car.

This is the third time my ZJ has spit out the power steering pulley (they must taste bad). The last time it did it was in the middle of the black rock dessert, 20 miles from town and 80 miles from the nearest town with a parts store, at 3pm on a saturday, not fun. So after that little adventure I did two things:

1) Got tow points put on the front end if I ever need to be dragged out again. As an aside, gotta love Kevin, his radiator mount (http://www.kevinsoffroad.com) is wonderful, not wonderful was finding out the body shop hadn't mounted the radiator correctly after an accident 4 years ago.

2) Started carrying, in the red bag next to the bailing wire and duck tape, a shorter belt and a breaker bar. So that if the power steering throws a fit I can bypass the damn thing and still muscle the car home and to the parts store. (And I do mean muscle)

So once again I find myself getting the upper body workout that you could pay good money for at a gym. According to the book 'o scribbles this is the second pump that I've had in the thing since new, and on this pump I've blown two pulleys and the mounting bracket. Is there any reason it should be blowing like that? The dessert adventure was just at the beginning of the summer.

The other question, is running the jeep with the power steering pump bypassed but still installed a bad move? Until the zj stops breaking for long enough to save up some ca$h and buy a smaller car (an eternal paradox) it is my daily driver, so being dead for a few days waiting for a new pulley to come in isn't an option. I note that the fluid leaks out the top of the pump a bit after running like this for a day or two. I assume because the steering box is now acting partly as a pump. Could this be causing damage to the pump and making it freeze up and eat pulleys?

--Alex

Last edited by kg6mov; 11-19-2012 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: Language
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Driving without power steering is not only dangerous for you and other drivers its irresponsible imo..
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Is the pulley plastic? they make metal ones
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

It's the plastic pulley as was stock on the '96. I've thought about going to metal but I do like the idea that if the power steering throws a fit it just breaks the cheap pulley instead of the belt, the pump mounting bracket (a righteous pain), or something else nearby.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
RedGuru
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
Driving without power steering is not only dangerous for you and other drivers its irresponsible imo..
And if I'm driving my 1980 Chevy pickup that came without it?
RedGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGuru View Post
And if I'm driving my 1980 Chevy pickup that came without it?
Obviously it's different on a vehicle that was designed without it. My 68 Camaro doesn't have it, but it takes 10 turns of the steering wheel to go lock to lock. My Jeep is only 3.5. Apples to oranges.

Unread 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Your 1980 pickup is NOT a ZJ and was probably designed to work without powersteering. If you want to drive forcing the steering wheel with all your might then your an IDIOT.. Have you driven a ZJ without power steering ? Try it.. get up to 40mph turn your ignition off and see how it handles.... its terribly irresponsible, what happens if you have to make a quick turn to avoid someone... Then what ? You going to tell the cops after you kill the person that you couldnt move fast enough because you have no power steering ?
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

It's definitely not a good time. It's actually pretty good on the highway once you get over 35, but at low speeds like trying to get out of the driveway it sucks. I wouldn't run like this for more than a day or two, but for getting home and getting parts to get it fixed it's not a bad option.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I mean if you feel you can handle go for it.. I dunno if i would do it tho is all im saying
Unread 11-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
RedGuru
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
Your 1980 pickup is NOT a ZJ and was probably designed to work without powersteering. If you want to drive forcing the steering wheel with all your might then your an IDIOT.. Have you driven a ZJ without power steering ? Try it.. get up to 40mph turn your ignition off and see how it handles.... its terribly irresponsible, what happens if you have to make a quick turn to avoid someone... Then what ? You going to tell the cops after you kill the person that you couldnt move fast enough because you have no power steering ?
Actually, yes I have. For the same purpose he did. To get it home after the nipple broke off my pump reservoir Saturday. I'm not saying to do it, just to do it. But in a pinch to limp home, all for it.
RedGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Ok, so parts came in finally, after they realized the store they were shipping it from didn't actually have one.

Put it up on jack stands, got the pulley replaced (without pulling the pump!). Really wish it was possible to pull the fan shroud without removing the fan, that would make doing things like power steering/ac/alternator so much easier.

Started it up (still on stands) and took the wheel lock to lock, seems to be running fine, fluid level good, but when you push it against the lock it makes a bit of noise at the pump, is that normal?

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 11-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
bigbill888
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You must be making your belt too tight
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Is belt tension adjustable on the 5.2? I thought the auto belt tensioner handled it?

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Is belt tension adjustable on the 5.2? I thought the auto belt tensioner handled it?
Yes, automatic tensioner. The aftermarket ones don't work right. Make sure its a Mopar unit.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome
Yes, automatic tensioner. The aftermarket ones don't work right. Make sure its a Mopar unit.
What!!!!?gee,i put a dayco tensioner on my 3.9 dakota and its been great for almost 3 years,you kool-aid drinkers kill me.geez
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.