Power steering to manual swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power steering to manual swap

FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
stovie
1997 ZJ 

Power steering to manual swap

Anyone know what manual steering box can bolt right on to a 1997 jeep grand Cherokee?? I'd also like the gearing as low as possible. I'd like to be able to remove the pump and steering box in one piece then put them in a plastic bag to keep the internals clean!! Thanks

stovie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

Just out of curiosity....Why?
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I'm wondering about the same thing.. I see absolutely no reason or any type of situation where you'd need slower steering (more turn lock-to-lock), no matter if on the trails or highways.

Are you having issues with the current system, don't you have enough power on the power steering, or what? If it's about lack of power on the trails, get a PSC high power pump + fluid cooler, or hydro assist. You can also swap in a smaller PS pulley for increased fluid pressure @ low RPMs.

If you've got some other steering.- related issues (ie. wandering, non-precise steering, etc.), find out what causes it and fix it. I've never heard of anyone wanting manual steering for any use, except for a go-kart or something

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

No power steering ? You might as well cut out the floor too and power it by foot like Fred Flintstone

To answer your question and not be just a smartass , Your best bet would be to look in the Wagoneer line in the 70-80's to see if it was offered . Waggy boxes bolt up but check the older model to be sure .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Don't waggy boxes use four bolt mount? I can be wrong though. But, I still can't see a reason for running non-assisted steering..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Maybe he's huge and keep ripping the wheel off.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Don't waggy boxes use four bolt mount?
They do . 3 holes , like our stocker , line up perfectly . The other can be utilized with a spacer and drilling the hole . They feel looser , but very similar . I run one on my 95
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

You are probably looking at '75 or earlier for a manual box. And BTW,

Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.