Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Power steering to manual swap

928 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Technohead 
#1 ·
Anyone know what manual steering box can bolt right on to a 1997 jeep grand Cherokee?? I'd also like the gearing as low as possible. I'd like to be able to remove the pump and steering box in one piece then put them in a plastic bag to keep the internals clean!! Thanks

#3 ·
I'm wondering about the same thing.. I see absolutely no reason or any type of situation where you'd need slower steering (more turn lock-to-lock), no matter if on the trails or highways.

Are you having issues with the current system, don't you have enough power on the power steering, or what? If it's about lack of power on the trails, get a PSC high power pump + fluid cooler, or hydro assist. You can also swap in a smaller PS pulley for increased fluid pressure @ low RPMs.

If you've got some other steering.- related issues (ie. wandering, non-precise steering, etc.), find out what causes it and fix it. I've never heard of anyone wanting manual steering for any use, except for a go-kart or something :D

#4 ·
No power steering ? You might as well cut out the floor too and power it by foot like Fred Flintstone :laugh:

To answer your question and not be just a smartass , Your best bet would be to look in the Wagoneer line in the 70-80's to see if it was offered . Waggy boxes bolt up but check the older model to be sure .

#5 ·
Don't waggy boxes use four bolt mount? I can be wrong though. But, I still can't see a reason for running non-assisted steering..

#7 ·
Don't waggy boxes use four bolt mount?
They do . 3 holes , like our stocker , line up perfectly . The other can be utilized with a spacer and drilling the hole . They feel looser , but very similar . I run one on my 95

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.