Power Steering...just bought jeep need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power Steering...just bought jeep need help

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Jwilley90

Power Steering...just bought jeep need help

Hey guys I bought a 98 jeep grand cherokee yesterday with the power steering not working. The guy put a power steering pump in it but there is absolutely 0 power steering. i got to fight it to turn the wheel lol. I fill it up with power steering fluid and as soon as i turn on my jeep and attempt to turn the wheel it all is leaked out and gone. So i do not know what to do.

Glad to be apart of the jeep forum now.

Jwilley90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum.

Have somebody else turn the wheel while you pinpoint the leak. If it's been running dry the pump is probably toast. Fix the leaking pump/hose/line and see if it works. Otherwise you're probably looking at a new pump.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilley90 View Post
Hey guys I bought a 98 jeep grand cherokee yesterday with the power steering not working. The guy put a power steering pump in it but there is absolutely 0 power steering. i got to fight it to turn the wheel lol. I fill it up with power steering fluid and as soon as i turn on my jeep and attempt to turn the wheel it all is leaked out and gone. So i do not know what to do.

Glad to be apart of the jeep forum now.
I think the obvious question is where is it leaking from?
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Jwilley90

I have no idea where the leak was. I got under the jeep and i just saw a couple of drips coming off the sway bar. Ill have someone else turn the wheel and maybe i can pinpoint the leak.
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

If he replaced the pump already it's most likely the lines. There's a rubber one and a steel one. Wipe everything down and have someone turn while you watch with a light.

It could also be the steering box leaking. Make sure everything is clean and find where it's coming from.
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Jwilley90

Pinpointed the leak. As soon as the engine starts it all drips out fast on the underside of the steering box...where that little arm comes down to the sway bar. I can take a picture of exactly where it leaks if need be.
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Jwilley90

Pic of where leak is.......i just found this pic off google but right there is where it steadily leaks out quick.
edit.jpg  
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

I think you're talking about the pitman arm that attaches to the track bar?

So it's the steering box and not the steering pump or a line? That's not fun to replace so make sure it's that.
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Jwilley90

Yes exactly. FFFF so i will have to replace the steering box?
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

From the looks of it, yes. I've never seen one piss out all the fluid that fast so it must be a pretty bad seal.

Might as well upgrade to the Durango steering box.
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

If you're positive it's leaking at the pitman arm nut, there is a seal kit you can buy from the dealership for around $35.00 and it's not that hard to install.
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Jwilley90

Yeah im positive it is leaking from right there...but on my jeep there is kinda big gap from the arm to the steering box would that matter? Is it easier to replace the whole box or the sealing kit? Thanks alot for helpin me.
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

A picture says a thousand words.

How many miles on the box? Running stock size tires? If it's just a bad seal I wouldn't replace the whole box. You don't even have to remove it to install the new seal. The gap you're talking about is strange. Maybe the ball joint end of the track bar is bad or the 32mm nut is actually loose?
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
Jwilley90

It has 250k on it. the engine has been rebuilt with 70k on rebuilt engine it is running stock tires right now. Here are 2 pics of my actual jeep where its leaking and the gap.....it just pours from that gap.
1.jpg   2.jpg  
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Looks like it's just the seal. It's up to you whether or not you want to replace the box.

If it was mine with 250,000 miles I would just opt for the Durango box upgrade. Especially since the motor has been replaced. Who knows how the other seals and internal parts are.

Your choice though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.