Power Steering issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power Steering issues

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

Power Steering issues

I was at my moms house today getting ready to do some maintenance on my WJ when i noticed something dripping down on the floor. i checked it out and i believe it was the power steering fluid. it was all over everything underneath my jeep. i wiped everything off and it appears to be dripping out of a little cylindrical thing that is on the powersteering motor behind the pulley. i dunno what its called and i cant find my camera. anyone have any idea? is it just a minor leak or am i getting ready to purchase a new pump?

EDIT: it had been making a lot of noise the past two days and it seemed to be dry when i checked the fluid earlier.

Unread 04-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

is the leak on the pump or the reservior? there may be a seal between the two... not sure... you will need to pin-point the leak.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

turns out its a hose that costs 100 bucks at the dealer. dealer wants almost 400 to fix it. yea, im getting a family friend to do it for probably half of that.
Unread 04-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Be prepared to do the bleed procedure a few times. I just got done doing the power steering pump on the ZJ, and it was a real pain getting the pump to do its job.
Unread 04-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman
Be prepared to do the bleed procedure a few times. I just got done doing the power steering pump on the ZJ, and it was a real pain getting the pump to do its job.
luckily for me im not messing with it. getting it done for about 225 through a family friend. still expensive to replace a damn hose.
Unread 04-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
cutlass7

We just had the same problem, 2003 GC LTD, turns out it was the power stearing hose......$400 later, all fixed. Not too impressed because it only has 85,000 km on it.
cutlass7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

ive got 83k miles on mine, not sure how that compares to km's though....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.