power steering issue trying to diagnose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > power steering issue trying to diagnose

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 05-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
richh789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

power steering issue trying to diagnose

First off, my belt squeaked since I bought the jeep. Even with a new one, and belt dressing . Last time I went wheeling it stopped squeaking.

On the drive home from the trip, the steering was a little stiffer than usual, but not as though pump went. The problem is that the wheel basically stays where you put it.

If you are driving down the road around a curve,and let go of the wheel, it will stay there and continue to turn.

Fluid is good. I tried loosening the Allen key on steering box, made no difference. I greased all the front end parts, which appear to move easily. I can't help but think its the pump, do to the fact that it stopped the belt squeek. But don't want to waste my money if it is the box

richh789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Try flushing some fluid through the box, disconnect the return line at the pump and run it into a bottle. Turn the engine on and see what comes out. Also watch for the belt skipping if the pump seizes.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
richh789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Good idea, I contemplated putting Lucas oil in, says it eliminates hard spots. Even tough its not exactly a hard spot.
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I just did my pump recently after it blew three pulleys. New pump and hoses and once I felt it I knew I should have done it a year ago.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
richh789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just changed the pump, that wasn't the problem. Disconnected the tie rods, hubs swing freely. Tie of ends move easily. Only thing left is the box. Previous owner said he changed the box. I've put minimal miles on , but most of them are trails with a lot of rocks and abrupt jarring of the wheels. Anyone recommend Durango box upgrade?
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
a70eliminator

Unhook the steering column shaft from the box and turn it by hand, you should feel a spot where it gets stiff (over center) then back to easy again in both directions, it's the sector gear center and that's what you adjust with the screw and locknut on top the box, there is a torque value of how much effort it takes to go over center, the centering adjustment done properly will effect the feel and hold wheels straight forward position, all this condition you speak of has to do with alignment, I believe it's the (toe in) that keeps everything wanting to go straight.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
richh789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Loosened adjustment on the box ³/16 of a turn and it seems to be better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.