Power Steering Hose help- - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power Steering Hose help-

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 06-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

Power Steering Hose help-

2004 GC Overland - power steering has been leaking, so i was going to replace the pump and hose. but i decided to just change out the hose first to see if that was the problem. got the hose from the dealer (like $98), and i was dumb and put the fitting on the bottom part. even took off the skid plate for better access, and can't get the threads to catch. the hose lost it's shape, so i'm going to have to bend it back to get the angles right- but as far as getting it on, any advice other than to keep trying? i could go buy another hose, but my plan was to save money by doing this myself!

at least the cj is running-

Unread 06-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
JForest2
2004 WJ 

Just keep trying and sure finally going to get it threaded on..

At $98 for the hose I would try and make it work with the one you have...

James
JForest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've had to do three PS swaps on both of my WJ's. I will assume you mean the high pressure hose that goes from the pump to the hydro fan. That hose connection is the biggest PITA ever. The 01's hose comes in three pieces; hose and two connectors. The connectors are designed to thread into place and then the metal ends of the hose will snap into the connector. Once snapped in they don't come out. (although you can unscrew the connector again it is still a PITA to put back.) My last install I got a new hose from the stealership that looks in every way identical to the old. However after HOURS of effort I could not get it to thread. I ended up using one connector off the new kit and the old hose with one old end connector (on the end that was not leaking.) needing the old connector to thread. May the force be with you as DC is not.
3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

HOLY CRAP!!!!! you overpayed.

I just replace the high pressure line for my PS (old one had a pin hole leak that saw spraying 3 feet out in front of the jeep!) I bought a new high pressure line from advanced auto for 17.00 and replaced it in the parking lot with a cresent wrench. The threads are a bit tough to line up on the pump portion, but just keep trying. Don't just feel for it to be straight, look direcly down the line from the top to line it all up. If it gets cross threaded don't use a wrench!

Just keep at it, youll get it. Also, if you do end up needing a new pump, don't go to the dealership! Advanced has them for like 60.00 with FREE lifetime replacement.

1998 5.9 limited, DT headers, CAI, 3" exhaust.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
jasn1981
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCollinsZJ View Post

I just replace the high pressure line for my PS (old one had a pin hole leak that saw spraying 3 feet out in front of the jeep!) I bought a new high pressure line from advanced auto for 17.00 and replaced it in the parking lot with a cresent wrench. The threads are a bit tough to line up on the pump portion, but just keep trying. Don't just feel for it to be straight, look direcly down the line from the top to line it all up. If it gets cross threaded don't use a wrench!

Just keep at it, youll get it. Also, if you do end up needing a new pump, don't go to the dealership! Advanced has them for like 60.00 with FREE lifetime replacement.
I need to replace mine tomorrow. Do you have a part number for it? I could only find it at the dealer for $105.

This is my First Post too!!! YAYAYAY
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCollinsZJ View Post

Dude- you have a completely different hose. Mine is for an 04 GC 4.7 HO. do you even have a WJ? I bought a hose at advance auto, and although it looked the same, the fittings were the wrong size. Same thing at NAPA. It is a dealer only part. All the autozone's, Napas, and whoever else who say they have it really don't. And my water pump was $115 at advanced which is the going price.
Unread 06-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Diehard

2004 WJ 

I posted this somewhere else, but here it is. Get the top fitting threaded first. You need to have it on an angle and having the bottom threaded first doesn't help. Just be sure watch where you snake the other end so the fan fitting will go in.
Moparonlineparts has good prices, but charges a handling fee. Go to the vendor site here and contact Avondale parts. He's very competitive with his prices and I have ordered several times from them with good/quick service.
2004 GC Spec. Edit. V8 4x4 Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, 4" lift, RE shocks, adj. JKS CAs all around, 265/75/16, 10 ply., Maxxis Bighorns, ProtoFab winch bumper, Vortex 10,000 lb. winch, dual OME steering stabilizer, Rockyroad rockrails, skids, JKS Discos. Addco front & rear sway bar, & Aussie locker. Next year? : Rear bumper with tire carrier.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

I should have stated my before. I found that this order to be the best for install when you have to reuse the old hose:

connect the hoses to the new PS pump first!
then add the pully on a bench/vice
Install the pump and before tightening the bolts to the block
connect the hydro fan end of the hose.
tighten the pump to the block.
connect the low pressure lines.
3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.