Power Steering High Pressure Hose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power Steering High Pressure Hose

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 11-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
MRAJB
1993 ZJ 

Power Steering High Pressure Hose

I have a 1993 ZJ V8. A few months ago I replaced the lower steering box seals where the Pitmin Arm connects (thanks to this board for all the help!). Now I seem to have another Power steering leak. it looks like it coming from the high pressure hose. It seems to be leaking out of the hose itself where it bends and just brushes the top of the steering box. It looks very rusted, so I am thinking its rusted out. I can't seem to get the hose removed from either the steering box or from the reservoir. Is there a trick to this? I have just been been using an open ended wrench. But there is not much room in there. Do I need a special tool? I also have not ordered the new hose yet, but but I am thinking about replacing both the high and the return lines all at once. Should I grab the hoses from Autozone or do I need OEM parts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

MRAJB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
sls001
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If the line fitting is to tight you will need a crow's foot or a flare nut wrench to remove it to mitigate the changes of rounding off the line nut.

You whould probably do both hoses while your there.

A good autoparts store should have the pressure line, hose for the return, and probably the flare-nut wrench.
sls001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls001 View Post
If the line fitting is to tight you will need a crow's foot or a flare nut wrench to remove it to mitigate the changes of rounding off the line nut.

You whould probably do both hoses while your there.

A good autoparts store should have the pressure line, hose for the return, and probably the flare-nut wrench.
what he said ^^^, and to add, if you already have the new hoses, you can chop them off at the fitting, and use a socket, but a set of line wrenches are good to have sitting in the tool box anyways.

an auto parts store ones should be fine, if i don't buy from the dealership i prefer napa though, i think they have better parts than autozone...
Unread 11-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

18 mm I think.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
MRAJB
1993 ZJ 

I ordered both the high pressure and the return hoses tonight from Autozone. I also picked up a Flare nut wrench and some more power steering fluid. I hope to give this a try this weekend.
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
MRAJB
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the help guys. It was easier than I thought. It did take me a while though, about 2.5 hours. I had to cut the old hoses so I could get a socket on the nuts. 300k on the jeep, there was alot of rust. But I got them off. One dumb thing I didn't realize was on the high pressure hose where it attached to the reservoir I didn't at first realize that I could use the top nut, and I couldn't understand how the shop manual just says "remove hose" I was thinking how could they get a wrench in there. Hehehe...oh well. That's what took so long just trying to figure out if I need to take more stuff out. But I got them changed and no leaks. I appreciate the guidance. One of the reason I picked up the ZJ was to learn how to fix things on cars/trucks. So far it working out great.
Unread 11-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Oh you'll get plenty of experience,lol.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
MRAJB
1993 ZJ 

Yeah, LOL. That's what I have heard.
Unread 11-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Oh you'll get plenty of experience,lol.
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
VallosJeep1
1993 XJ Cherokee 

power steering pressure hose

I'm looking to replace my PSPH does this require bleeding the system? and if so how do I go about doing it, Im looking to do it myself instead of having my mechanic do it since it looks easy enough for me to do.
VallosJeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.