Power steering fluid leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power steering fluid leak

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 06-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
schirjo

Power steering fluid leak

2003 jeep grand cherokee limited, engine code N

I have a pretty bad leak in the p/s pump. i replaced the pump only to find that it is the 1/2" high pressure line that runs from the pump to the fan clutch. It is the quick connect fitting (right where the line connects to the pump) that leaks. Is this line a dealer item? anyone know any quick fixes? Im not sure (conceptually) how this fitting can be leaking. What im guessing is that there is a flare inside the connect nut that leaks. i replaced the o-ring, but of course, it still leaks. HELP!?

Joe

schirjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Pretty sure the quick disconnect fitting is a dealer only part.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
schirjo

Im going to answer my own question:

First of all, this is definitely a dealer-only part. I got the part today, as the dealer actually had it in stock. The parts counter guy actually knew exactly what i was looking for when i started describing it. My guess is that this happens often. NB: If you are leaking power steering fluid, check the fitting on top of the power steering pump.

The good news is that the new part has been modified to eliminate this faulty collar, which was clearly a bad design.

Oh, and it cost $82.00

Joe
schirjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
02WJOverland
2008 XK Commander 

That new fitting is way different than the old one. It will only go in a thread or two. One would think for high pressure hose, the fitting would seat further in. I replaced mine a few months ago and no leaks since.

"I am buying a new Jeep, just one piece at a time"
02WJOverland is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.