Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Power steering fluid leak

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  02WJOverland 
#1 ·
2003 jeep grand cherokee limited, engine code N

I have a pretty bad leak in the p/s pump. i replaced the pump only to find that it is the 1/2" high pressure line that runs from the pump to the fan clutch. It is the quick connect fitting (right where the line connects to the pump) that leaks. Is this line a dealer item? anyone know any quick fixes? Im not sure (conceptually) how this fitting can be leaking. What im guessing is that there is a flare inside the connect nut that leaks. i replaced the o-ring, but of course, it still leaks. HELP!?

Joe

#3 ·
Im going to answer my own question:

First of all, this is definitely a dealer-only part. I got the part today, as the dealer actually had it in stock. The parts counter guy actually knew exactly what i was looking for when i started describing it. My guess is that this happens often. NB: If you are leaking power steering fluid, check the fitting on top of the power steering pump.

The good news is that the new part has been modified to eliminate this faulty collar, which was clearly a bad design. :thumbsup:

Oh, and it cost $82.00 :thumbdown:

Joe

#4 ·
That new fitting is way different than the old one. It will only go in a thread or two. One would think for high pressure hose, the fitting would seat further in. I replaced mine a few months ago and no leaks since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.