Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Power Steering fluid in '01 GC?

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  rm2001wj 
#1 ·
Doe sthe Power Steering use the same thing as the T-case and the AT? ATF+4 in a 2001 GC??:confused:

#3 ·
ATF is supposed to be used, but apparently after using it people develop small leaks in thier system. I have always used an offbrand of PS fluid, like Advanced Auto parts Power Steering Fluid, never had any problems there.

#4 ·
Do you trust wjjeeps.com? If so, here is your answer:
Mopar®P/N 04883077 Hydraulic fluid / Power steering fluid (MS5931)
MS5931 IS THE ONLY FLUID THAT CAN BE USED FOR THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Important note:
The factory fill power steering fluid for all 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees is a unique fluid, MS5931. ATF+4 (MS9602) should not be mixed or used as a "topping off" fluid on the Grand Cherokee WJ. All WJ models should be serviced using ONLY the special MS5931 fluid. ATF+4 is NOT an approved Power Steering Fluid and should never be used under any circumstances. Note that all fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition

#5 ·
So, any P/S fluid should work

Ok, ATF bad for the system so I should get some regular Power steering fluid to suck-out and replace?:confused:

#6 ·
Now we to come to place where it helps when you tell the model year and engine size.

If it is an '01 or later with the 4.7 engine, then it has a hydraulic cooling fan using power steering fluid with pressure supplied by the PS pump. In that case, you definitely should get the Mopar fluid. For the case of a non-hydraulic fan, regular PS fluid should be OK. In either case, since I trust wjjeeps on this, I would try to get rid of most of the AFT+4.

#7 ·
rm2001wj said:
Now we to come to place where it helps when you tell the model year and engine size.

If it is an '01 or later with the 4.7 engine, then it has a hydraulic cooling fan using power steering fluid with pressure supplied by the PS pump. In that case, you definitely should get the Mopar fluid. For the case of a non-hydraulic fan, regular PS fluid should be OK. In either case, since I trust wjjeeps on this, I would try to get rid of most of the AFT+4.
It is the2001 with the inline 6 cylinder, 4X4 with automatic.:)

#9 ·
Sorry about not getting back to your question. An I6 equipped WJ does not use a hydraulically driven radiator fan. Most use an electric fan. The electric fan has a motor with wires connected to it. The hydraulic fan is more complicated in appearance with hoses from the power steering pump connected to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.