Power Steering failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power Steering failure

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 06-06-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
acitydweller

Power Steering failure

Hi,

I have a 95 grand cherokee 5.2 v8 and the power steering is nonexistent. I have managed to change the steering fluid with no sucess.

My question to the forum: How does one determine if the problem is in the power steering pump or the steering Gearbox?

Helpful advice appreciated.

Thx
Alice

acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

It is probobly the pump... Open the hood and start it up and have someone turn the wheel while you look at the resevoir. And stuff.. IF fluid does not move when you cycle the wheel the pump is probobly bad...

I would let the mechanic give you a free inspection then fix it my self... But thats just me...
Unread 06-08-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
acitydweller

excellent tip swampboy. much appreciated. I just bought this GC and i like everything except the steering. if i can get this and the new sway bar/steering stabiliizer installed, i can go and do a long deserved alignment. my wheel is somewhere due west when the car's driving straight

thanks again
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.