Power Steering - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Mrtwister29

Power Steering

Hey so the other day the power steering pump in my jeep broke so i went out and bought a new one and put it on. before i put it on i drained all the old fluid out of the system. so i got the pump on and filled the tank , turned the wheel so it would fill the system. so after the bleeding i lowered my jeep and started it up. the power steering worked for like 10 secinds then stopped. the werid thing is if i wait like 30 seconds without turning the wheel the power steering will be easy again for 10 more seconds then go back to hard. also i took it for a test drive just to see how hard it was when actually driving and the power steering seemed to only work when i was pressing the gas. if you know anything about how to fix this please let me know, i really need my car to get work cause right now im on my bike. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 01:49 PM
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

try re bleeding it, kinda sounds like you have ALOT of air in the system. Bleed it per what the manual/instructions say its the only way to do it.

To contact me, email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 WJ 5 Speed Claytons LA's, 36" Iroks, 35 spline 9" rear, Custom Ruffstuff 60-9" front axle.
Build Thread:

post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Mrtwister29

i have already rebleed it once and still the same thing. do i need to keep on turning the wheel? for alot longer? cause i have done it for about 10 mins straight and kept filling the tank to make sure it is full. so should i keep on turning the wheel to pump it some more and for how long?

post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 02:02 PM
jeep946

does the power steering res keep going down after you bleed or does it stay the same.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Mrtwister29

for like the first 5 mins it went down with air bubbles coming up and i would fill it again and then it stopped having air bubbles come up so i figured it was done bleeding
post #6 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Mrtwister29

also i took off the pump and made sure nothing was blocking the flow of it cause it works when i step on the gas. is there maybe a way to increase the flow of it at idle? it seems like power steering kicks in around 3000 rpms
post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Mrtwister29

one more thing does the Speed Proportional valve have anything to do with the flow of the fluid? and how much is released into the power steering system?
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 05:08 PM
zjhitman

If I remember correctly, the speed proportional steering is supposed to give you more power assist when maneuvering at slow speeds and less at highway speeds. Sounds like there is still a lot of air in the system. Get both front wheels off the ground and then unlock the steering wheel and turn the wheels 10 times to the left and 10 times to the right with the ENGINE OFF. Not hard to do at all with the weight off the wheels. Then let is sit for about half an hour, check the fluid and fill to proper level and go for a drive. That should fix it.

zjhitman
post #9 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Mrtwister29

so ive done all that about 3 times now and still seem to have the same problem which is the power steering will work for like 10 seconds then stop. i cant see any more bubbles coming up in the tank so im pretty sure all the air is gone.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Airborne Lee

2013 JK Wrangler 

It sounds like there is a blockage in the connection from the res to the pump? Also, check the other hoses going to the steering box and fan. (if applicable).

'16 JKU Rubicon, Tan, RR Front Bumper, 9500i, Atlas Rear w/Tire Carrier M416 Trailer
post #11 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Mrtwister29

so im pretty sure there is no blockage in any of the lines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.