power seat wire and blowing 30amp fuse - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-14-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

power seat wire and blowing 30amp fuse

Dose anyone know how to fix a power seat short I keep replacing to fuse and it keeps blowing and before it it dose I get lots of smoke, it seems its no longer grounded how on earth do I fix this? I need Pictures not a wiring diagram

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-15-2012, 01:27 AM
MarsZJ
1995 ZJ 

I can snap some pictures tomorrow if you like but you remove the side panel trim from the seat where the controls are i think its 3 long screws. Then take a look at the wires for signs of melted plastic and crossed wires.

i had this same thing going on, i had to take the controls off the side of the seat and i found burnt and arcing wires, it seems as if over time the wires to the switch get worn away by sitting in the seat. I re-did all the wiring in that seat and it was cured. Very easy fix, good luck.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-15-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsZJ View Post
I can snap some pictures tomorrow if you like but you remove the side panel trim from the seat where the controls are i think its 3 long screws. Then take a look at the wires for signs of melted plastic and crossed wires.

i had this same thing going on, i had to take the controls off the side of the seat and i found burnt and arcing wires, it seems as if over time the wires to the switch get worn away by sitting in the seat. I re-did all the wiring in that seat and it was cured. Very easy fix, good luck.
please post some pic thanks

post #4 of 4 Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Nobody can show you a picture of your short, because there's many reasons it could be shorting out.

The seat is bolted to the floor with 4 bolts, some may have plastic covers that are held on with a phillips head screw. You need to unbolt the seat, flip it over, and have a good look.

The source of the smoke may not be the cause of the short. Look for wires that are pinched or kinked. You might have a bad motor or a bad switch. It's gonna take some common sense and investigation.

BTW, if it was no longer grounded, it just wouldn't work. DC electricity is a loop that uses your car body to loop back to the battery. Open the loop (no ground), and you get no flow anywhere on the loop.

good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.