Power mirrors keep dropping,WTF(whats the fix?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power mirrors keep dropping,WTF(whats the fix?)

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 06-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
airborndad
1998 ZJ 

Power mirrors keep dropping,WTF(whats the fix?)

Power mirrors slowly drop and turn in as I'm driving or when I close the doors they move drastically inward and down is there any way to tighten these up I already checked the FAQ section lots of great info, but not for this problem Thanks in advance

1st Jeep, new forum member, just bought it yesterday 6/7/14
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X2, 5.2L V-8,
4 speed auto transmission - 145,000 miles
Black/Agate
Options:
Sunroof,
Mini overhead Console,
Heated Front seats,
Cass/CD/8 Infinity Gold Speakers,
California emissions,
Trac-Lok Differential
Tow Package,
Full size Spare with cover

airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Cant help ya with the mirrors but welcome
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
dodge16vrt
1998 ZJ 

lol, mine does it when I disarm the alarm. The seat goes all the way forward and mirrors drop. Grrr,
dodge16vrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
ewp418
1996 ZJ 

Mine did that until I disconnected the memory seat buttons. I just pulled my drivers door panel and disconnected the wires to the button panel. I don't have memory seat and mirrors anymore but it is better than having to readjust them each time I unlock it.
ewp418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

It's a common problem, related to the contacts inside of the mirrors. There are a set of contacts that return the mirror position to the BCM, so it can adjust them based on memory setting. When the contacts fail, the BCM thinks the mirrors are set too high and it adjusts them down until they can't go further. The fix is to disassemble the mirrors, clean and repair the contacts, and reassemble. I think MallCrawlin' or JeepUnlimited has a writeup.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

It will be similar to this.....
http://www.wjjeeps.com/mirrors2.htm
Unread 06-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
airborndad
1998 ZJ 

THANKS I appreciate all of the responses from everyone
SchizophrenicMC & Coralman: thanks for the explanation I was hoping that it would be a simple fix like some loose screws behind the mirror glass I really like the link you added that looks like the route I will probably take, might go buy a Junk yard mirror and see how badly I screw it up before getting into mine
dusterdude:THANKS
ewp418: might be a good LAST resort choice
dodge16vrt:sound like yours is working right just need to set your seats mirrors & and radio stations where you want them then push the set button on your door when it flashes then push the 1 or 2 button (whichever # matches the # on the back of your remote)

I set the seats and mirrors to both remote pretty close to the same positions and the drifting is significantly less

just got registered new plates and all the DMV paperwork finalized $139 at AAA
and dropped off the personalized plates to the previous owner
now my ABS light is on
time to start researching again
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

You're going to find that it's pretty much a universal failure on memory mirror-equipped ZJs. And that the mirrors will sometimes go for days at a time without the problem emerging.

EDIT: More people's ABS light is on, than people whose ABS light is off. Most of the people who don't have the light on have a burned out bulb. The ABS modules in these Jeeps die instantly, it seems.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
Dukcaln

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewp418 View Post
Mine did that until I disconnected the memory seat buttons. I just pulled my drivers door panel and disconnected the wires to the button panel. I don't have memory seat and mirrors anymore but it is better than having to readjust them each time I unlock it.
what I had to do too!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.