power to manual window swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > power to manual window swap

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
zeman
1993 ZJ 

power to manual window swap

my power windows stopped working on me and i want to swap over to manuals does anyone know where to find the parts to do so? it looks like i should only need a crank & the axle/sprocket mechanism, i can only find the crank handle, any ideas or anyone have what i need? thanks
i dont like trusting electronics in the woods and mud id like to get this project done in the next week, thanks.

zeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
zeman
1993 ZJ 

anyone at all? please.... suggestions anything???
Unread 08-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Local JY probably, but good luck finding a manual window ZJ. Maybe see if XJ components are the same.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

XJ Cherokee regulators are not even close. Since the factory manual window regulators have been discontinued your only shot is to find a junkyard ZJ with manual windows, or a '91 SJ Grand Wagoneer with manual windows. Either one will be tough to find.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Probably about as easy to find as the built in rear baby seat option.
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Why not just fix the power windows?
Unread 08-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
heapster
1983 CJ7 

power to manual windows

I never knew ZJs came w/o power windows. Learn something everyday I guess, as for the built in baby seat my 96 has one neener-neener-neener. I never understood why they would have that as an option but hey.
heapster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

If you take off the door panels you can see the plastic is perforated around where the window arm sticks out.
Unread 08-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
zeman
1993 ZJ 

ok thanks, i was kinda hoping to find a link to an online store that had the parts but it looks like this isnt a common thing, i checked out my old xj & they are way different.
i dont think i need an entire regulator just change the motor out to a sprocket with an axle to a crank and a bracket to mount it theres already a circular hole right where it could and would go in the door its self. i checked the junk yard i work at and found nothing, im going to rip into a tj door tomorrow and see if i cant make something work.... i dont want to fix the electric windows because i dont want them i want crank windows, its a jeep that goes from my house to the woods to play & back home(hopefully on its own power) it doesnt see much if any road time other than that and i figure if i broke them once i probably will again. its already got no carpet or ac and its a jeep that sees pretty rough wheeling and i like to have as few things to break as possible, thats the reason i want manuals not electronics. but if i have to ill fix them but for the time being their extra manuals, you have to lift them by hand lol.
Unread 08-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Cant have both one or the other lol. You may have to replace the panels as well.
Unread 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

About the only ZJ to have manual windows was the 93 and 94 Grand Cherokee SE.

You basically need the whole interior panel and door guts. The SE was discontinued because they didn't sell. So good luck with that.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
About the only ZJ to have manual windows was the 93 and 94 Grand Cherokee SE.

You basically need the whole interior panel and door guts. The SE was discontinued because they didn't sell. So good luck with that.
Hes probably best to just fix it but whatever.
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heapster View Post
as for the built in baby seat my 96 has one neener-neener-neener. I never understood why they would have that as an option but hey.
You Dog !
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.