Power Locks Issue??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power Locks Issue???

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
BlazerZJ
1997 ZJ 

Power Locks Issue???

Hey I have spent some time trying to search regarding the issue I'm having but can't really seem to find anything. When I hit the lock button for the power locks in my jeep only the rear locks work. If I hit lock the rear door power locks will lock and if I hit the unlock then the rear door locks will unlock. The front driver door and passenger door dont lock or unlock but work fine manually. It kind of sounds like they are trying to unlock and lock like there is sound coming from them. I'm looking for ideas as to what this could be and to fix it. Don't really know where to start.

Any help is appreciated...Thanks!

Unread 03-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

does it make a whirrring noise or a click but doesnt unlock? either of these means the actuator is shot. you can try to clean them out and fix them, but its easier to go to a junkyard and get new ones. bring a drill battery and a couple jumper wires so you can test them out before you buy them. brand new actuators are around 120 bucks online, more if you go to a dealer.
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

I agree with dnuccio. I had the exact same problem that he described. Went to a junk yard and got an actuator for my rear driver's side door. Here is what it looks like when I cleaned it up.
actuator.jpg

Worked great. No more lock problems.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
BlazerZJ
1997 ZJ 

Thanks guys that at least gives me a starting point. We have 3 Pick N Pulls local here and they have a guarantee where if the part doesn't work then you can return it for another one so that is nice. I am going to try and go to the yard tomorrow to get one for the front driver and passanger door. Do the door actuator's have to be from that exact door on the jeep or are they the same on all 4 doors? Like can I take one from a rear door for the front door? Also since I have a 97' laredo do the actuators have to be from the same year or can it be any 93-98 ZJ with power locks?

Thanks
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

i am not sure about whether they are the same front and back, but I do know that they are different from left to right. I would also feel pretty safe in saying that you could use 1996-98 actuators at a minimum.

When you remove the rods, the plastic clips rotate out 90 degrees to release the rods. You will need a torque driver to remove the screws. Other than that, you might need some tools to remove the door panel. It took about ten minutes to get one out.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
BlazerZJ
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the advice. I am going to stop by Pick N Pull on the way home tomorrow and see if I can find two actuators for the jeep. The yard by my work has about 10 ZJ's from 93-98. Figure I'll check the 96-98 first and if I still need one I will see if the ones from the 95' are the same or not. I figure they are probably the same.
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

the little clips that hold the rods in stay with the actuator, not the rod. dont make the mistake i did lol i ended up breaking all of the clips because i thought they stayed with the rod.
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #8
Hvacdude
1994 ZJ 

Check the wires in the drivers door wiring harness. They are thin wires that always end up breaking. Check those wires first. It is a very common issue on our ZJ's.
Hvacdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
BlazerZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvacdude View Post
Check the wires in the drivers door wiring harness. They are thin wires that always end up breaking. Check those wires first. It is a very common issue on our ZJ's.
Thanks for the advice Hvacdude. That should be my first checking point. I will try and check these wires tonight incase the wires have came disconnected or something. Hopefully that might be all it is. If not I guess I'll be making a trip to the junk yard.
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
BlazerZJ
1997 ZJ 

Hey so I will be going to the Pick N Pull junk yard to get a VIC today. I am going to also get the power lock actuators for the two from doors. Any special tools I need to remove them? I was wondering what I will need to remove them since I have never worked on them before.
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Phillips screwdriver to remove the door panels, needle nose pliers to unclip the rod clips, and the actuators are held in by 3 torx bolts, but I dont remember the size off the top of my head. Check the size on your zj before you go

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.