Power goes away when i turn key - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power goes away when i turn key

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
Johnkb528
1994 ZJ 

Power goes away when i turn key

I have a 94 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0/6. On Friday as I was getting out of the truck I heard a ticking in the glove box, then about an hour later when i got in to go out, when i turned the key all the power went away (no beeping from key in ignition, no radio, dash, dome, NOTHING). So i thought it was bout the alarm because of the ticking & had the factory alarm removed, but still no power. The alarm guy said that everything is getting constant power and it is either the igition switch or the computer fried. I can get the power to come back by disconnecting the battery for a couple hours then reconnecting it, but when i turn the key it all just dies again. Im hoping its just the ignition switch & it didnt fry my computer. Anybody have any thoughts before I buy the switch??

Johnkb528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Clean your battery terminals and check the connections .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
Johnkb528
1994 ZJ 

its when i turn the key to start the engine the truck dies. even tried with being jumped
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
jbsj33p
1993 ZJ 

Mine did the same thing when the battery died. Turn key and everything goes dead, I had it jumped too didn't do a thing. So I swap out a battery from my boat and it fired right up. When I tested the battery it produced .5v under load and 12v sitting there. These jeeps are really weird about their batteries. Like new fie said check and clean battery terminals, make sure they are good and tight then get your battery load tested.
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkb528 View Post
its when i turn the key to start the engine the truck dies. even tried with being jumped
It doesn't like being referred to as a truck.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
Johnkb528
1994 ZJ 

ok, so i put the new ignition switch in, now when i turn the key it still dont start, but at least the power stays on now. a couple times the power left only to come back after the key was taken out. I dont know whats going on or what to do now. battery is ok, alarm disconnected, ignition switch replaced. some one please help me with some more ideas, i need to get her running again
Unread 05-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
jbsj33p
1993 ZJ 

I'm not expert but try cleaning the grounds next to the battery and below the coil on the block. And check the cable on your starter give it a good cleaning.
Unread 05-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
A bad connection at the terminal and it wouldn't matter if 2 batteries were boosting it . When I have a bad connection , I usually get 1 click then all systems have no power , even boosting . I have heard that series of clicking from the glove box area (relay panel location) , mostly because of low voltage . My guess would be your power supply wire has a connection equal to if you ran speaker wires for powering the jeep .

What I would try is , turn the key to the "on" position , and try to start it by jumping directly at the starter . The starter is fed directly from the battery , it could be tested with the ignition off also , should just crank the engine and not start . Myself , I'd like to have it run so it would narrow down the issue .

If you try
-Becareful not to touch anything else when jumping , it's semi tight .
-get a good solid connection . little spark show if you don't . No biggie , just avoid it as much as you can .
-make sure vehicle is in park , and what ever it takes to make sure it won't roll if started . Handbrake , etc etc , be safe

For now , I think it's the next step . Guess you could make sure all fuses are still good and swap around a few relays as well
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2
It doesn't like being referred to as a truck.
Why not,it damn sure aint a car
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

Quote:
ok, so i put the new ignition switch in, now when i turn the key it still dont start, but at least the power stays on now. a couple times the power left only to come back after the key was taken out. I dont know whats going on or what to do now. battery is ok, alarm disconnected, ignition switch replaced. some one please help me with some more ideas, i need to get her running again
How do you know the battery is okay? I ran into this problem twice before and I can tell you that batteries that looked ok were not. It doesn't matter if you're trying to jump from the battery of a full size SUV, if your battery can't hold a charge, it won't start. More likely your battery is toast and either your battery cables are corroded or you have a charging issue.
rep-tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
Johnkb528
1994 ZJ 

She is running!!!!

Im so happy. just go her going. I changed the ignition switch which kept the power on after i turned the key, now i just put in a new starter. when i was connecting the battery back up i noticed the wires for the negative and ground were frayed and corroded so i cut them back & she started right up

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.