Power Door Locks - Work, but not really? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power Door Locks - Work, but not really?

New! JK/U skid plate system.We now have Uniballs!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
ZickJagger
1998 ZJ 

Power Door Locks - Work, but not really?

Ok, so I can hear the power door locks working on all the doors but it doesn't seem to actually lock/unlock them. Any ideas? Thanks.

ZickJagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Make sure the battery voltage and grounds are good.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Can they be locked from the inside (drivers module) and actually lock, and or do they lock when you hit 15 mph?
It might be a low voltage condition to the door modules, or a shorted condition tripping the circuit breaker in the junction block (passenger kick panel). The breaker (cb2) is an automatically resetting CB. If you look at the breaker while locking and unlocking, check to see if it trips and resets. If it does, disco each one individually or run it down with an ohm meter. Remember that the rear hatch is part of the system.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
JKDZ28

Does it unlock any of them? If so, you probably have some worn out door lock actuators. I have that problem on 2 of my doors.
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
ZickJagger
1998 ZJ 

Well, I'm not running the proper battery in my car...could that be it? All of them make the unlock sound, but none of them unlock. It sounds like its not strong enough, so low voltage or the actuator could be it. All 4 work by hand.
ZickJagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDZ28 View Post
Does it unlock any of them? If so, you probably have some worn out door lock actuators. I have that problem on 2 of my doors.
That's the problem I have - the rear doors and hatch are fine but whilst you can hear the front door actuators run, they don't actually unlock. My assumption is that the actuators are ****ed
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Most likely the front door latch assemblies are wearing out i have an issue with them not locking randomly and not unlocking till i cycle the actuators 4 or so times then the lock and unlock cycles are perfect. Id replace them with known good ones and be done with the issue.
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
nwmtnbiker

Does the front passenger door unlock and lock everything?
nwmtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 03:26 AM   #9
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmtnbiker View Post
Does the front passenger door unlock and lock everything?
In my case it's the same from both sides - rears unlock, fronts don't. You can definitely hear the motors operate but no joy.
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Take the door panels off, clean and lube all the linkages. If you hear the solenoids in the doors trying to unlock it's a mechanical issue inside the door, not an electrical/switch issue.

Generally if you hear the solenoid/popper trying to unlock then the solenoid/popper is fine.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Take the door panels off, clean and lube all the linkages. If you hear the solenoids in the doors trying to unlock it's a mechanical issue inside the door, not an electrical/switch issue.

Generally if you hear the solenoid/popper trying to unlock then the solenoid/popper is fine.

good luck
Not always the case. i uninstalled the passenger latch assembly on the jeep i drive, tore it down cleaned it and then before reassembly i tested the actuator unit with the fan gear attached to the output shaft, it will make the motor run when activated but in my case there were 2 or 3 cogs in the internal gearing that are damaged and it wont swing the gear over till it gets past the damaged part then it works once again. Unfortunately the actuator part of the door latch is a sealed unit and not easily serviceable without damaging it further.
In any event its worth a shot to disassemble the external portion of the actuator assembly test, clean, and re lube, hopefully the OP will get lucky and its just a gummed up latch as you suggest??!!
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Done that - the mechanical linkage moves easily enough but the electric actuator just makes noise. I'll take another look sometime soon and see if there's anything more I can do.

Thanks
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #13
power
1994 ZJ 

When I had problems with my front passenger door lock - unlock it was the electrical solenoid or motor in the door itself. I checked the two relays in the relay center first and they checked out fine. I could hear it trying to actuate but after spraying all the mechanical linkages with lubricant it still didn't work properly.

I made sure it was receiving the proper voltage at the actuator then went to the wrecker and pulled a used one and installed it in the parking lot in about 20 minutes (the door skin and plastic barrier was already off from testing). Since it was used I wired it up and tested it before installing it. There are a lot of little mechanical linkages with rods attached for the various locking systems. It helps if you have long needle nose pliers and long thin pry bar type tools. Some of the rod linkage connectors and are difficult to access inside the door if you have big hands. Remember to use adhesive to put the plastic barrier back in place as well. It was about a year ago and still works fine. I think I paid $10 for it and I had to removed it myself.

If more than one door locking mechanism went bad at the same time I would suspect the wiring or the relays. Unfortunately I cant remember the voltage the actuator was supposed to see although minimum 9Volts rings a bell. I cant remember the output from the relay.

Good luck.
Unread 10-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZickJagger View Post
Well, I'm not running the proper battery in my car...could that be it? All of them make the unlock sound, but none of them unlock. It sounds like its not strong enough, so low voltage or the actuator could be it. All 4 work by hand.
If your able to start and operate your Jeep your problem is most likely not with the battery.
All 5 doors not operating? Very unlikely it's with one mechanical linkage.
If the problem is with one of the solenoids, the instant the locks are signaled to open, the bad one (in theory) cause a temporary short, tripping the breaker. When the signal is removed, the breaker will automatically reset.
The windows operate off off the same breaker. If you can open and close all 4 windows at the same time IMO the CB is probable fine, and a defective solenoid is causing a high current drag on the system.

Does the locks open from the inside using the drivers master switch?????
Open the panel and observe the CB, does it trip when using the key fob?
I have not looked in the manual, but is there another CB u can swap ( there are a couple in that panel)
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
jeeplady4ever
1997 FSJ Cherokee 

door locks possessed

i am still waiting for my mechanic to test my PCM . i have the prblm that as soon as its wet outside my power locks engageg at 15 mph. they continuously do the safety lock non stop . once it hits that 15 mph they keep clivking. not actually unlocking. but like its repeating the safety lock . a few months ago my interior lights just stopped working. i have heard that its a pcm module. and or speed control module. or poss even transmission speed sensor. that the interior lights and power lck are controlled by these. my mechanic says the 97 loredo is controlled by the pcm . i will know tomorrow if there is a code to that or not. but my interior lights go on if i manually push them off n on. just not when i open the door, then the power locks go nuts as soon as its damp or raining out. few dry days n locks fine .
jeeplady4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.