Power door locks; locks but doesn't unlock... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Power door locks; locks but doesn't unlock...

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 04-16-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
mrobers
1997 ZJ 

Power door locks; locks but doesn't unlock...

Hi guys!

I have a weird problem since today; while driving I hit the lock button on the driver door to lock all doors. While getting out, I didn't press unlock so my daughter couldn't get out the right rear door and she tried to open the slider-lock by hand. From then on, all of my doors won't power unlock!

When I press lock (either on remote, driver panel of passenger panel) all doors lock; no problem there. However when I press unlock; I hear small clicks in both front doors, but none of the doors unlock. I also noticed that the rear right door lock moves rather difficult when I try this by hand.

Could this be a defective rear right door motor? It also locks like the rest of the doors when I first manually unlock it (slider) and then press lock. I checked all fuses in the passenger foot area. Are there different fuses for locking and unlocking? Please help...

mrobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 04:52 AM   #2
mrobers
1997 ZJ 

Yesterday spend most of my time trying to locate the problem. Removed the door panel and checked the motor; it seems fine. When I measure the voltage on the two pins to the motor, I find that it reads 12V when a lock-signal is received, but it doesn't give -12V when I unlock. Strange.

I removed the battery-cables and hold them together for about 15 seconds and then let them hang loose for about 15 minutes. After that; still the same problem.

I checked all fuses and circuit breakers; nothing. I really don't understand. I think I have to take it to the dealer but I don't have a good feeling about the knowledge of the Jeep-dealers here in the Netherlands.

No one has an idea?
mrobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
kovachian

I've got a very similiar problem with my locks, but it's kind of a rare occurence for me. Have you looked into prices for new solenoids? Ebay might have something and you'll get a much much better price there than from a dealer.
kovachian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
lazierhobo

same but different

Im having the same problem as you except sorta the opposite. mine will only unlock, and not lock. did you ever find a solution to your problem?
lazierhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2005, 12:48 PM   #5
GCooperII
2005 WK 

I would be interested to know as well what might be causing this. It happens occasionally both on the lock and unlock cycles. It has happened on a rear door and most recently the drivers side door did not lock after locking it with the FOB and when I went to get back in it I opened the door without first unlocking it so it set the alarm off. Scared me to death

Finally installed: 18" JK Gladiator Wheels/Tires, RR2.5" Lift
SOLD: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Kevin's 2" BB 265/70R16Geolandar AT+II
GCooperII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
youngwon22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Found this in the archives from search and wondered if anybody had solution to this problem? My door locks are failing door by door
youngwon22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.