Potential ZJ owner needs help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Potential ZJ owner needs help

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
uncc09meet
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Potential ZJ owner needs help

Hey guys,

My 86' Z got rear ended and totaled this week and I need a new car. I found a local Jeep.

-96' Grand Cherokee Laredo
-5.2 V8
-Quadra-Trac
-Green w/ Black cloth
-113k miles
-Dealer Maintained
-High-end Alpine Stereo
-Bone stock
-eXtremely clean
-new Michelins

-$5200

Is this a fair price?

I drove it and its got gobs of power, handles great, no bumps, no rattles, nothing weird

Are these generally reliable? I know it's 11 yrs old, but you know what I mean. I had a 91' Exploder a few years back and it was garbage. Then I bought the 86' 300ZX and it was reliable but finicky and the parts availability was sketchy. But, I want another SUV and I loved this Jeep! What should I look for, be aware of, expect, etc.?

Thanks!

uncc09meet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
jp88
1996 ZJ 

Id try to talk em down a little I got my 96 limited 5.2 with 98000 miles in pretty good shape for 3750 the dealer was asking 4150
Unread 07-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

i would say 5000 at most.

first try for about 4500, then mabe 4800, then 5,000. \
if at that point i would pretend 2 walk off the lot (or leave and come back the next day)

but thats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ndard-1056365/
5.9 ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Price seems too high...
$4000 to $4500 with that mileage around South Fla.
Negotiate the price, and when you test drive it again do some 8's in a parking lot to make sure the TC is fine.
There are some electrical gremlins that show up on these GC's, but you can get info on mostly everything in this forum
The 249 TC is a bit expensive to repair, so make sure it is working fine with no binding.
The 5.2 is a great motor, and gas mileage is just about the same as the 4.0 HO I6.
Power to weight ratio favors the 5.2.
Good luck.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.