Potential Purchase - Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Potential Purchase - Help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
harpersimon

Potential Purchase - Help!

Hi guys
totally new to Jeeps- am located in UK and there don't appear to be any decent forums. I was recomended this one by a friend who is an owner

I am pondering buying a 1996 Grand Cherokee - looks to be in good condition, maybe miles are little high at 135k?
Anyway the car runs just fine from turning the key.. but once its hot, if you stop and restart, it splutters for a few seconds, blows a bit of soot out the tailpipe, and then runs just fine again. The current owner thought this maybe a coolant sensor but appears not to have made a difference when swopped out. Wondered if any experts on here could tell me if this is a walk away scenario, or sounds a reasonably easy fix?

thanks

harpersimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
redneckinutah
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpersimon
Hi guys
totally new to Jeeps- am located in UK and there don't appear to be any decent forums. I was recomended this one by a friend who is an owner

I am pondering buying a 1996 Grand Cherokee - looks to be in good condition, maybe miles are little high at 135k?
Anyway the car runs just fine from turning the key.. but once its hot, if you stop and restart, it splutters for a few seconds, blows a bit of soot out the tailpipe, and then runs just fine again. The current owner thought this maybe a coolant sensor but appears not to have made a difference when swopped out. Wondered if any experts on here could tell me if this is a walk away scenario, or sounds a reasonably easy fix?

thanks
That's an American made vehicle. It needs gasoline, not petrol. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 03-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
harpersimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckinutah View Post
That's an American made vehicle. It needs gasoline, not petrol. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
:-) - you think thats the problem!! :-)

Maybe US made but since its better seemingly than anything we make, I thought I would give one a go. Only serious issue is the amount of 'Gas' it will potentially drink LOL
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
wsar10
2003 WJ 

not sure of the fix for this issue, but BUY IT..............
with only 135k again I say BUY IT.

Maybe a bad Cat.....

Is there a CEL on ?

how much soot ?

also sounds like it could be a sensor bad making it run rich.....

Ok somone bail me out here, cuz at this point I'm guessing based on common sense.........

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
harpersimon

So you think a good one to buy? Seems in generally good condition just this issue was worrying me as don't want to buy a dog and have to spend a fortune on getting the engine straight. What's CEL? Do you mean warning lamps? Seems only to be an issue when starting from hot. He says you have to floor the accelerator and after coughing a bit it will run fine again..
It's a good price though, so am tempted..
Unread 03-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
wsar10
2003 WJ 

CEL= check engine light,
I don't THINK it sounds like a mechanical engine issue more like sensor or maybe a general ignition tune up plugs, wires cap rotor.
Im really hoping someone chimes in here

Whats the asking price for the jeep?

Unread 03-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
harpersimon

Well it's a '96 4L straight 6 .. Apparently , like I say I don't know the range well so going on the ad. The guy is asking £750, which I guess is close to 1200 dollars. Seems fair? Good body and interior, long mot ( vehicle test) so seems genuine. He says it's a great runner other than this small issue. What's good mileage? Has this got some life left you think?
Unread 03-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Wood2km
1998 ZJ 

I just bought mine with 200,000 miles for over twice that (Jeeps are really expensive around here). Like you said, runs great, and obviously has been taken care of. If you treat it well, it will last forever. I can't help with that issue, though. Sorry
Wood2km is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
wsar10
2003 WJ 

listen,
(I dont think you will) but even if you had to spend 1000$ to repair this thing you are still getting a damn good deal.
That jeep here would sale for 2500 $ even with the issue it has.

As far as "life left" if you put the money into it for PROPER maintance over the next year it should run to 250k easy possibly 300,000 miles brfore it dies for good. Now i'm not saying you wont put a transmision in it over time to get that kind of life out of it, but thats just a jeep thing.
You gotta understand that jeeps are unlike any vehicle (kinda),They need maintaned to a T, like keeping up with all fluids and I MEAN ALL (differentials, TC, tranny, coolant, oil) keeping up with all the bushings and suspension componets, and everything else im forgeting to mention. I would get it figure out the issue than start doing the 100,000 mile maintance things starting with changing all the fluids and filters with THE PROPER fluids (not what some guy says will work) come here for your advice and questions, Use the search on here within the ZJ forum. Jeeps are not a maintance free cheap means of transportation, they cost money but trust me you put the money into it where it needs it and it will run forever.

"this thing of ours" is an addiction and this forum is like jeep therapy
Welcome to the forum

Unread 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Hi, coolant sensor problem would seem unlikely, sounds more like a catalytic converter problem. Soot is a sign of incomplete combustion. The coolant sensor will give you the water temperature, or the water level in your expansion tank, (check out coolant sensor bad threads). Signs of a bad CAT include higher engine temps, black smoke out of tail-pipe, sluggishness, and a foul oder. Black smoke out of tail-pipe is a sign of incomplete combustion, and could lead to soot build up. Has this vehicle been out for a good run lately, or has it been all stop and go, in traffic?
Hths, Jack
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
impilcature

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpersimon View Post
Anyway the car runs just fine from turning the key..
Its a Jeep... not a car. FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
listen,
(I dont think you will) but even if you had to spend 1000$ to repair this thing you are still getting a damn good deal.
That jeep here would sale for 2500 $ even with the issue it has.
Keep in mind that just because it is a good deal where someone else is he may be getting in over his head. How easy is it to get parts where you are? I am driving a vehicle I paid 1800 dollars for and in the states they sell for 10,000 easy. Parts here are a pain in the a$$ to find but it is even worse in the States.

Harper - It sounds like you can afford the Jeep and you have enough common sense not to destroy it. Get it and treat it as a learning experience. i am learning to wrench on my Mitsubishi J53 Jeep right now and it is a life changing expereinence. Good luck.
impilcature is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 03:51 AM   #12
harpersimon

Thanks all. I am confident with spanners, just not knowing the Jeep vehicle I wouldn't have a clue where to start with this issue, and of course am dubious about buying a vehicle that has an issue in the first place - at the end of the day the guy is out to sell it, so "it runs great" and " no real issue" are of course things he is going to tell me. its seeing through that to what could be an easy fix, and therefore a bargain that is the trick, hence coming here. Jeeps here are all cheap around this age and mileage, as no one can afford to put fuel in them anymore. 'We' all want cars that do 50+mpg, or run on batteries as the government really don't like anyone driving anymore :-)
I want a good strong reliable car.....sorry.. Jeep :-) - but clearly don't want to shell out £1000ish to buy it, only to have to spend another £1000 correcting issues (may aswell spend £2000 on one that doesn't have issues)
I will more than likely purchase it - parts are readily available - there is a dealer down the road from me, and plenty of online UK parts vendors. Cherokee's are hugely popular here, less Grand Cherokee's but still enough to warrant reliable parts supply.
Hope I am not buying into a nightmare.. :-) thanks guys
If anyone still has any idea what the cause could be, do let me know where to start looking..
Unread 03-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by impilcature View Post
Its a Jeep... not a car. FYI

Keep in mind that just because it is a good deal where someone else is he may be getting in over his head. How easy is it to get parts where you are? I am driving a vehicle I paid 1800 dollars for and in the states they sell for 10,000 easy. Parts here are a pain in the a$$ to find but it is even worse in the States.

Harper - It sounds like you can afford the Jeep and you have enough common sense not to destroy it. Get it and treat it as a learning experience. i am learning to wrench on my Mitsubishi J53 Jeep right now and it is a life changing expereinence. Good luck.
Uh yeah, this is an american made vehicle that any part is available for at anytime online, and if all else fails Ebay has it all.

Unread 03-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
harpersimon

Thanks wsar10 - I already had a snoop on ebay - seems most things are available. I can see this being an obsession.. before gas gets too expensive to actuall buy :-)
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpersimon View Post
Thanks wsar10 - I already had a snoop on ebay - seems most things are available. I can see this being an obsession.. before gas gets too expensive to actuall buy :-)
Even when I'm "violated" at the pump, when I pull out and here my V8 I gotta smile on my face......

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.