Potential new WJ owner, what to look out for - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Potential new WJ owner, what to look out for

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
desertdude

Potential new WJ owner, what to look out for

After having sold my 01 XJ, There is a 01 V8 WJ limited with all the bells and whistles, sunroof, leather seats etc etc on the market. Although not intially not my ideal choice, but the reasonable price, milage and all the bells and whistles ( Needs to be comfy for 2hr one way commute to and from work )caught my eye.

But I also wheel hard in the sand dunes and in very hot ambient tempratures. The XJ needed a lot of work to bring into work on the cooling system back in order and then also when pushed hard it would go upto 225. Although not overheating but driving at such high temps can't be good either for the engine or the tranny. Is the WJ the same when it comes to temp when wheeling hard ?

Also is it a reliable car to have and use as a daily driver, what are the things to look out for, I've already heard about the blend doors anything elese I should be looking out for.

Are the diffs tranny and transfercase tough mothers or can easily get screwed in the heat.

Any can anybody excatly explain what kind of 4WD system it has ( quadratech) I've heard that it has 3 auto locking diffs is this true and are they loackable on demand ???

Also need a explination of quadratech, stab-track and vari-lok

Thanks a million in advance

desertdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
raider650
2000 WJ 

http://www.wjjeeps.com/
raider650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
jwolf312
2003 WJ 

Quadra-Drive came standard on Overlands and optional on Limiteds. Thats the one with Vari-lok axles front and rear. Check to see if your blend doors are shot in the climate control by holding the A/C and Recirc buttons down and turning the driver's control one click counter-clockwise. Write down the codes and check wjjeeps.com. If it says anything about blend doors it's about $1k to get it fixed right (still have dual-zone). also put the key in and cycle from On (not start) to Off (not lock) three times. The odometer will show any stored codes.
Unread 10-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

Quadra-Drive should have a badge at the bottom of the shift bezel, and on the tailgate. Quadra-Trac will have the same 247 TC but without LSD's front and rear.

01's still had the crappy Teves calipers in front. Might want to look and see if they've been upgrade to the Akebono ones.

Once again www.wjjeeps.com is your source for all this info.
Unread 10-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
Derekne
1999 WJ 

My vehicle Wj grand cherokee uk reg T plate year 2000
engine 4.7 V8 limited petrol. 160000 miles it has done.
Heated seats they are prone to go. On some models the whole bottom part of the seat needs renewing. (mine does on both seats) the switch will work and light up but no heat. Its a costly repair. Id sooner freez my *** off than pay the 1500 dollers EACH to sort it.
Dash bord speakers crackle on after lots of usage. have a listen.
My viscous fan went in the engine bay.which was dear to fix. I have had 2 radiators replaced in 5 years. Due to constant dripping in corners underneith.
Just replace all disks and pads as they were screwed.
transmition sump was leaking fluid. As dealers had over tightened the bolts and snapped them. then never said anything and watched it drive away. The bolts go around the sump. So I replaced them had to make my own paper gasket and use black tube of gunk sealer as u cant buy the gasket?
The engine oil costs an arm and a leg for serviceing up to 60 pound in the uk. (110 dollers aprx)
I have just replaced the entire rear exhaust up to the cat as its all one part. This costed around 300 pound (600 dollers)
Wile reading through my past jeep history from prevoius owner.
The diff in the past had some problems where pinion and all bearings needed sorted. on a 3 yearly ongoing event. Due to past noises. None at present.
The air con needs a condenser as it isnt working well. The dealer diagnosed it with prev owner 5 years ago its never been repaired.
The fuel pump was replaced 4 years ago from dealer with prev owner.
Replaced cv boots.
Hope some of this helps?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.