Potential New Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Potential New Jeep

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
LukeRabe
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Potential New Jeep

Hi ya'll. My names Luke. I just registered today, but I have been lurking around the forums for a few months now - I just haven't had a reason to post. I am 19, I am a college student who attends a local community college.

A few months ago, I swapped my dad's old vw jetta with over 250k miles for my niner. I have always loved jeeps growing up and this was the first time we have had one in the family. I love the 9er, but it's not mine and I must share it with my sister who also has her license.

Anywho, for this upcoming year I am going to need some transportation of my own for classes and my job. I've been looking around for a bit, trying to spend less than 1500 on a vehicle. I still have the 9er around but my parents still own it so I don't want to spend money for a lift and other mods if I don't own the vehicle.

I was looking within an hour or so of Kalamazoo, Mi on Craigslist and came across this jeep. It'd be cheaper on gas with the 4 banger and I could still wheel a bit and beat on it. If I could get it for 900 or so I think it'd be a steal. I know its 2wd.... Could the 4 banger handle the 3' lift and 31s? What do you guys think? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

http://jxn.craigslist.org/cto/3915985989.html

LukeRabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
BCrawford64
1997 ZJ 

I doubt its a 4cyl. And with the lack of information, it leads me to believe it's a scam/false ad. You are not going to get anything that would be even considered close to nice for $1500. Trust me. Especially with all this Michigan rust.
BCrawford64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
LukeRabe
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrawford64 View Post
I doubt its a 4cyl. And with the lack of information, it leads me to believe it's a scam/false ad. You are not going to get anything that would be even considered close to nice for $1500. Trust me. Especially with all this Michigan rust.
He's calling me within the next day or so to talk about it before I make the journey out to look at it (hour long drive there).

I don't believe it's a false ad, I just want to know if there's anything he's not telling. I feel like the lift/tires alone are worth the 900 I could get it for.
LukeRabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

First, welcome to the forum.

That Jeep (if it doesn't have any major problems) should make for a good, reliable transportation vehicle for a student. With 31 inch tires it won't feel very powerful, but it should get you around just fine.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrawford64 View Post
I doubt its a 4cyl.
I think all years of the xj were available with a 4 cyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f64/xj-specs-everything-you-need-know-5719/
2.5L I4 MPI (multi-port injection) - 130 hp @ 5250 rpm, 139 ft lb @ 3250 rpm - used in 91-00
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Never seen a 4 Cyl ZJ.....it has to be an xj. Believe it or not, I had a 1985 ( ?) Cherokee Pioneer with the 4 cyl and a 4 speed tranny. It had the command trac transfer case. Slow...but it was reliable. I had heard that those engines sucked and came apart quite often, but mine didnt. I sold it for $3500 in 1995 and bought new one with the 4.0 and a 5 speed. That thing was a beast and wish I hadnt sold it in 97 when I ordered my ZJ.

Maybe the ad says 4.0 litre..which is a 6 cyl?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Never seen a 4 Cyl ZJ.....it has to be an xj.
The OP never said it was a ZJ, just that he shares a ZJ with his sister. If you had clicked on the link the OP listed, it clearly says Cherokee, and has 4 photos depicting a decent looking 2 door XJ Cherokee.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

lol I would offer him 300 bucks for that max.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
JColee
1997 ZJ 

I just sold a similar 2.5l 4 cylinder 2wd Cherokee for around $800 with power nothing, completely stock without even a passenger side mirror. I've heard that the 2.5 is a bombproof and will last a long time, but man was that engine a dog. Even with stock everything, and a 5 speed (which this one, might be). Very simple Jeep though, and it ran like a champ. I also loved the looks of the 2 door XJ's.

If I were in your shoes, I'd at least hunt for a 4.0.
JColee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Both the 2.5L 4cyl and 4.0 I6 were available in the XJ through 2000. Then only the 4.0 was available in the 2001, the same year they quit producing XJ's. Pretty sad to think about the Liberty replacing the XJ...

Don't know why they didn't just paint over the USPS decal on the door instead of replacing the whole door with a black one?? Or I could be wrong since the steering wheel is on the left.

Just kidding Luke, welcome to the forum, and my son has a 96 XJ I work on all the time.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

4cyl XJ would be fine for just getting you from A to B, but i wouldnt plan on lifting it or putting bigger tires than stock on it.
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensnelling View Post
The OP never said it was a ZJ, just that he shares a ZJ with his sister. If you had clicked on the link the OP listed, it clearly says Cherokee, and has 4 photos depicting a decent looking 2 door XJ Cherokee.

Ken
You are quite correct, Mr. LinkPoliceOfficerSir !

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.