Potential 5.9 purchase. Opinions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Potential 5.9 purchase. Opinions?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
PTECH
1998 ZJ 

Potential 5.9 purchase. Opinions?

Hey guys. Another newbie question for you all. I'm considering a jeep with a 4.5 short arm rubicon express lift. It has been upgraded to u joint style axles and driveshaft. There is also a pretty nice roof rack that has a tire holder and lights. I'm trying to figure out how much value that would add to this jeep. 5.9 with 160k miles with a salvage title from a minor front end collision ( I saw the pics) Asking price is $5200. What do you guys think?

PTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Overpriced. Ujoint Axles and DS are a slight upgrade but doesnt really add value. RE makes good parts so thats a plus. Make sure it isnt beat to **** if its been wheeled a lot. 160k is pretty low, if that mill has been taken care for it should last awhile longer. And def see if he'll come down on price

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
PTECH
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Overpriced. Ujoint Axles and DS are a slight upgrade but doesnt really add value. RE makes good parts so thats a plus. Make sure it isnt beat to **** if its been wheeled a lot. 160k is pretty low, if that mill has been taken care for it should last awhile longer. And def see if he'll come down on price
That's what I thought too. What do you think a fair price is?
PTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Man, its really hard to say with modded jeeps. If the owner did all the work, he probably wants a higher price for it. I would pay around $3000-ish for it maybe. But I havent even seen it so its hard to say. You can pick up minorly damaged stockers around here for 500-900$ so to me, 5200$ even with a lift and whatnot, seems pricey.

Build thread^^
Unread 05-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
ozzy_2_me
1994 ZJ 

I would not pay more then 3000 for it. even though it is a 9er. and I would take it to a body shop to make sure the frame/uni-body is straight.

oh and before you buy it take the air hat of the throttle body and with a flash light open the butterfly valve and look down into the intake if you see oil down in there the intake needs to be resealed and that there isn't cheap to do.
ozzy_2_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy_2_me View Post
I would not pay more then 3000 for it. even though it is a 9er. and I would take it to a body shop to make sure the frame/uni-body is straight.

oh and before you buy it take the air hat of the throttle body and with a flash light open the butterfly valve and look down into the intake if you see oil down in there the intake needs to be resealed and that there isn't cheap to do.
A plenum gasket repair would be on the lower end of my priority list personally. I would say that most of these motors with over 120k on them most likely need to have that repair done.

Build thread^^
Unread 05-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Check it out and make sure the lift was done right. That does seem overpriced for the miles/salvage title and all. I bought my TSi for pretty cheap, but the dude who put the lift in completely half-assed it, and I later noticed that parts of the wall inside the engine bay were red, though my Jeep is black (meaning it was in a pretty big accident). Long story short, I'm now paying for it because I was excited and didn't check everything over as thoroughly as I should have. If you have a dealership near, take it there. My local one did an 80-point inspection or something like that when I brought it in for free.
elijahpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I try to avoid modified vehicles. You never know what shortcuts were taken, and the owners always inflate the price. Most modifications do not add value to a vehicle, and those that do tend to only add a small amount. The only time a big-ticket modification will add value is in a professional-quality engine swap that isn't a small-block chevy, and even then the swap will cost significantly more than the increased sale value.

$5000 is pushing it for a mint stock Niner. I'd say the modifications push it down $1000 on their own, just in terms of what I'd spend. The salvage title, however, knocks at least 50% of the reasonable sale price off. If it's in excellent condition otherwise for $5k but it's salvage, it's a $2k car. It's incredibly difficult to get a unibody back to factory after it's been tweaked in an accident, and most shops don't bother to get it close enough. That'll cause problems down the line, I can almost guarantee it.

All in all, I'd look elsewhere. This Jeep is nowhere near worth what the seller wants, and it's probably a pile of problems, between the wreck and the modifications.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I try to avoid modified vehicles. You never know what shortcuts were taken, and the owners always inflate the price. Most modifications do not add value to a vehicle, and those that do tend to only add a small amount.
x2. Find one that's stock or close to stock. Sellers always think that every single little modification makes the value jump up through the roof when the reality is that modifications are very person specific and do not add physical value. You have to find that one person that wants the mods.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
nicyousuckk
1997 ZJ 

OP, now that I'm not using the JF app I see you're in Phoenix. I used to own this jeep, please contact me if you're interesting in purchasing it. I drove it for 70k miles and can tell you a bit about it.
nicyousuckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #11
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Remember to always factor in a plenum repair to the purchase of ANY v8 Zj, regardless of mileage.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
Remember to always factor in a plenum repair to the purchase of ANY v8 Zj, regardless of mileage.
Not necessarily. Not difficult to check to see if it's leaking, plus the engine will tell you.

190K on my clock and mines not leaking (in your defense I have no idea if the PO repaired it already or not).
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post

Not necessarily. Not difficult to check to see if it's leaking, plus the engine will tell you.

190K on my clock and mines not leaking (in your defense I have no idea if the PO repaired it already or not).
They don't last that long from the factory. Mine was already gone at 127. The only reason I knew was because I had detonation under load while accelerating. I had to take the throttle body off and look way in the back towards the firewall with a flashlight to see the leak. Otherwise you couldn't tell. The 5.9 is more sensative to detonation than the 5.2. It's only about 150 bucks to fix. The VC is over 300.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

salvage title?
Insurance will eat you up in Louisiana.
5.9 or not, I wouldnt buy it at all. No one here wants a salvage title vehicle.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
salvage title?
Insurance will eat you up in Louisiana.
5.9 or not, I wouldnt buy it at all. No one here wants a salvage title vehicle.

Salvage title vehicles should be half priced compared to a similar non salvage vehicle. $3000 is where he should be.

I have owned salvage vehicles before, & will again, but you have to be careful. Have it inspected by a professional. Know that selling it will be a problem in the future. As far as insurance, it makes no sense that it would be any higher for a salvage than a clean title car. I know mine was not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.