Post viscous coupler replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Post viscous coupler replacement

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
e46fanatic
1998 ZJ 

Post viscous coupler replacement

So, I decided to go ahead with the VC replacement because I like the simplicity of the 249 and I will be moving to a snowy area in two weeks. I bought one on ebay for $349 that was advertised as being 'new.' The install wasn't too bad but it took about six hours with help from a friend. I've been driving with the new VC for about a week now and there is a big improvement, but I still get some tension and tire squeal when doing sharp turns. Is it normal to have a little of this going on with a fresh viscous coupler?

e46fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Rear limited slip? Definitely yes. Even if you don't have one, inner tires can squeal a little on very tight turns (ie. full lock turns at slow speeds).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
e46fanatic
1998 ZJ 

Okay, thank you. That makes me feel better. Yeah it has limited slip too so that makes sense. I'm just happy to hear I don't have to take it back apart.
e46fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46fanatic View Post
...I still get some tension and tire squeal when doing sharp turns. Is it normal to have a little of this going on with a fresh viscous coupler?
That's normal for a 96'-98' 249. It's just the nature of the beast. Every time you turn you are fighting that very stiff VC. I did the same replacement 4 years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.