Post viscous coupler replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Post viscous coupler replacement

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-13-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
e46fanatic
1998 ZJ 

Post viscous coupler replacement

So, I decided to go ahead with the VC replacement because I like the simplicity of the 249 and I will be moving to a snowy area in two weeks. I bought one on ebay for $349 that was advertised as being 'new.' The install wasn't too bad but it took about six hours with help from a friend. I've been driving with the new VC for about a week now and there is a big improvement, but I still get some tension and tire squeal when doing sharp turns. Is it normal to have a little of this going on with a fresh viscous coupler?

e46fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Rear limited slip? Definitely yes. Even if you don't have one, inner tires can squeal a little on very tight turns (ie. full lock turns at slow speeds).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
e46fanatic
1998 ZJ 

Okay, thank you. That makes me feel better. Yeah it has limited slip too so that makes sense. I'm just happy to hear I don't have to take it back apart.
e46fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46fanatic View Post
...I still get some tension and tire squeal when doing sharp turns. Is it normal to have a little of this going on with a fresh viscous coupler?
That's normal for a 96'-98' 249. It's just the nature of the beast. Every time you turn you are fighting that very stiff VC. I did the same replacement 4 years ago.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.