Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Possibly my first ZJ ever!!

1K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  98GCLimited 
#1 ·
So I saw that at my local small town used car lot. Now with a 4 month old daughter and the gf and I wanting more kiddos in the future, im looking for more of a "dad waggon" as my wheeler/commuter.
Anyway its a 1997 ZJ, with only 60,000 miles!!!!!! It is the V8, not sure if its the 5.2 or 5.9, can anyone tell me? Its a limited...I believe. Crawled underneath, everything looks good and damn near in perfect condition for being a 97.
What are the axle options with these ZJ's? Im more of a Wrangler guy and know very little about the cherokee family.
Anywho, I am very excited about making this purchase if my loans application gets accepted at my bank. ALlL info regaurding these ZJ's is much appreciated!!
Ohh my big problem was...the TC. Do these have the full time tansfercases? NV249 i believe?.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
5.2L V8, Dana 30 front and Dana 44a rear axles. 249 transfer case with 4Hi-N-Lo

How much are they asking?

To test the VC in the case, take it on a 15 minute drive then find a nice open lot. Do some almost full lock figure 8s. If it binds and hops, the VC is on its way out or already done.

#12 ·
95+ do. Older ones have spline and gear changes. You can use an older one by doing a input shaft swap from yours. I just installed an 88 242 by swapping the input shafts. Love it.

There is all the info if you Google 242 249 zj swap. Its the first one e that pops up.

#14 ·
Don't even bother. That rig with only 60k on it is a great find for that price. Even though many here malign the 249 case, it is actually a VERY good case and with any amount of reasonable use and care, will go another 60/100k with no issues. It is even a good case for mild wheeling. You have a great find there. Leave it as is for now and use the money for the fam or some other more useful mod. :cheers2:

#15 ·
The swap to the 231 or 242 wont be immediate by any means. A majority of my money nowadays goes torwards to 4 month old daughter anyway :)
What is the difference between the 231 and 242. Is the 242 the roc-trac with 4:1 low range that they stick in the Rubi's?

#16 ·
231 = part time only

242 = full time & part time selections available

Both have 2.72 ratio

Max

#17 ·
And to answer your question, yes it's a direct bolt in. That jeep is a 23 spline. All 95+tcases are 23 spline. You only have to do input shaft swaps when you get older spline count cases. The 249 is an ok case.

#18 ·
Well then i suppose when I decide to do the swap i will go with the 231. What are the usual prices for a used (newer-ish) 231?

Another question....the D44 in the rear end of the ZJ's, did they come with Trac-Loc limited slips?

#23 ·
The shift linkage on your jeep will work as long as the little shift tab on the donor transfer case you are swapping in is on it. (You need the tab on the donor case you buy since the 249 is too long to shift the gears properly on the other cases.)

You just adjust the length of the upper shift linkage piece that connects the transfer case shifter to the torque shaft. There is a 13mm bolt you loosen and move the adjuster up or down the shaft to adjust length and re-tighten the bolt. The shaft that connects the other side of the torque shaft to the transfer case shift tab is non adjustable.

Also the 231 is a bit stronger than the 242.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.