Possibly buying a 98 ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Possibly buying a 98 ZJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
scarboy

Possibly buying a 98 ZJ

OK guys and gals, One of my friends friends has a 1998 zj for sale, 4.0 2wd auto for 300 bucks. It ran and drove until about a week ago when he ran it out of fluid and I was wondering if this might be an easy repair instead of replacing the trans. I was thinking that since it has no fluid in it it wont move, which is what its doing right now, or he said it will move a little but the tranny slips. It ran and drove fine a week ago no slipping or anything but all of the fluid leaked out. Would no fluid cause it to slip? I think im going to get some atf4? and go out there tomorrow and see if I can get it to work right. The idiot has not even looked at it and does not want to deal with it at all. What do ya think?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

scarboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Do it! You can get a trans from the junkyard if it cant be salvaged with fluid and u-joints alone. (you didnt mention them, did you check to see if theyre present and ok ?) Change the filter too.
Worst case ; youll have the coolest go-kart in your neighborhood, for only $300.
rooster51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
Some_Anchovies
1995 ZJ 

go check it out. if the engine runs good without many ticking noises or anything, and it just needs tranny fluid to get it home, then I'd go for it.

Check it out thoroughly though. If he won't let you do it, or keeps insisting that that's the only problem, it probably isn't the only problem. Check it out well before you buy. Worse case is you could part it out to people for a profit.
Some_Anchovies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
scarboy

The engine runs good, the tranny is the problem, i dont understand why you are talking about u-joints? Im going tomorrow sometime to fill it up with fluid and see if it moves. I might just flip it if all that is wrong is a trans. leak. I only have a TJ and want something a little more stable on the interstate and drive backroads at night and not worry about deer and stuff.
Unread 07-08-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
Tweaks
1997 ZJ 

It's worth a shot. Worst case scenario is just a few more bucks to get it going again. I'm assuming you know how to turn wrenches and replace a tranny if need be. If not, you may want to let it stay as your buddies lawn ornament. it doesn't take very long for a tranny to get hot and get damaged without any fluid in it, much like a motor with no oil.

Why was it leaking in the first place? How many miles on the clock?
Tweaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
scarboy

Yeah a tranny at pullapart is only like 50 bucks. It has around 150k on it but it has never been abused and surprised me with how well it ran. I'm going out later today to screw around with it some and make up my mind. And a zj tranny cant be much harder than a 1997 jeep tj manual tranny can it?
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

You might have a tough time finding a 2wd transmission...
Unread 07-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
he WILL have a tough time finding a 2wd zj transmission.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
he WILL have a tough time finding a 2wd zj transmission.
Could be wrong here, but I always thought it was the exact same transmission, one with a tailcone, and the other with a transfer case behind it. Are they different transmissions?
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

You can swap the tail cone from the 2wd transmission over to the new one, but that involves swapping the entire OD unit, which isn't too entirely hard. You have to be sure to keep the transmission output shaft perfectly aligned however.
Unread 07-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the overdrive units are different.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #12
scarboy

Could I just bolt up the trans and transfercase under it? with no front driveshaft and just leave it in 2 hi?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.