Possible starter issue... only it started. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Possible starter issue... only it started.

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #16
georged
2004 WJ 

I just had the same crank problem too. I replaced the starter and again sometimes it would crank and others it would not. The fix was to replace the inition switch.

georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #17
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

See thats the issue. I don't want to go spend money on a starter when it could be the ignition switch.... but since I had to beat on it and turn the key to start it, I'm leaning towards the starter.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
Tiggerrrrr
1995 ZJ 

If your still not satisfied that it's a starter issue, get a new starter, leave yours at home and pay the core charge. If the new starter doesnt fix your issue, simply return it. I'm willing to bet you keep the new starter.
Have you tried jumpng the starter with the key in the run position to rule out the ignition switch?

Looking for a REAR tow hook and bracket!
Tiggerrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #19
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Well the starter kept working up til tonight, lately the cold weather has been giving the starter a run for its money, rarely starting unless I get out and hit the damn thing with a wrench

Well tonight it finally kicked the bucket for good, I tied my CR lanyard to the T-case shifter from the keys to be on constant "start" then tapped the starter and it still wont start, no clicking or anything.

But hey, I'm at home, and I have tomorrow off, so guess what I'll be doing in the morning?

Just wanted to update and let anyone know that it is infact the starter.

Also, I left my lights on and drained my optima, great. So I hooked my JD lawnmower up to it and tried jumping it, no dice, all the electonics work, no start.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #20
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

mine starter quit last year ... took it to Oreillys... they said it was good.... when to the salvage pick up a used starter for 25 bucks ,,, still going strong.... the old is still good... LOL,but won't turn.... when on the jeep
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.