Possible starter issue... only it started. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Possible starter issue... only it started.

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Possible starter issue... only it started.

4-5 times in the last 3 months my starter has failed to turn on after about 15 minutes of turning the key on-off it would eventually catch and start.

Stopped to get gas today, Starter would not crank. All lights-radio-electonics work fine, got under and tapped on the starter with a wrench, still no start. Tried nuetral, no start. Called my tow truck service, (insured so no money out of pocket) Driver gets there and asks what the issue is, I said starter. He got under and started tapping on it, still no start, but when he tapped on it AND I turned the key at the same time, then you could hear the starter spool, after 5-6 fast taps it started. I got home and shut it off, and it starts right back up immediately.

I am about to go plop down some money for a new starter but I have heard of this being another possible issue. I have read some say it could be the solenoid? I have also heard of starters passing bench tests, but actually not working on the vehicle.

What is going on here? Why would it work fine now and not at all earlier? Is it a fluke? needs replaced, or maybe just leave it?

Opinions?

FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Tiggerrrrr
1995 ZJ 

Replace it... Mine did the exact same thing last year. New reman starter and it's been just fine. Mine DID pass the bench test as well. I've seen that too many times.. "You're starter is fine, buy this part instead".. lol

Looking for a REAR tow hook and bracket!
Tiggerrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

could be just the wiring. look at the connectors and see if they are green and rusty. if so get a wire brush and clean the connections. its a 16 year old jeep and I still have the original starter on mine. and works like new.
BigE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

The terminals are clean at the battery, and at the starter. I carry a wire brsh with me too, jut in case.

I know first hand about passing the tests then in the real world if fails.

Another quick story:
Jeep wont start after work, fuel pump not priming
Tow home, drop tank, remove pump, test on battery terminals with LONG wires to pump, it runs fine and shoots water 3'
Put pump back in tank, remount tank, run gas through pump to remove water, reconnect fuel lines, drive to work.
After work, no fuel pump AGAIN. Get sawzall from back of jeep and cut hole in floor, remove pump in less than 1/4 the time it took to drop the tank and skid plate. Replace with napa pump, works like brand new for more than 2 months now.
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCollinsZJ View Post
The terminals are clean at the battery, and at the starter. I carry a wire brsh with me too, jut in case.

I know first hand about passing the tests then in the real world if fails.

Another quick story:
Jeep wont start after work, fuel pump not priming
Tow home, drop tank, remove pump, test on battery terminals with LONG wires to pump, it runs fine and shoots water 3'
Put pump back in tank, remount tank, run gas through pump to remove water, reconnect fuel lines, drive to work.
After work, no fuel pump AGAIN. Get sawzall from back of jeep and cut hole in floor, remove pump in less than 1/4 the time it took to drop the tank and skid plate. Replace with napa pump, works like brand new for more than 2 months now.
When I Read the OP I thought about when I did the exact same thing with my fuel pump years ago. Worked fine on the bench but put that baby in the Jeep only to find my self dropping the tank to do what my cheap arse should have done in the first place. REPLACE IT
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

next time the fuel pump doesnt run. turn the key and punch the bottom of tank. start jeep.
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

I'm like the king of cheap arses. Instead of replacing the whole drop in unit, I just took it all apart and replaced JUST the pump motor. It was 94.00 from napa VS 300+ for the whole pump+ sending unit and housing deal.

I just don't like being stranded.
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE3 View Post
next time the fuel pump doesnt run. turn the key and punch the bottom of tank. start jeep.
One problem. Big steel skidplate.

Jones, if you are reading this... I know what you are thinking.
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
I'm like the king of cheap arses. Instead of replacing the whole drop in unit, I just took it all apart and replaced JUST the pump motor. It was 94.00 from napa VS 300+ for the whole pump+ sending unit and housing deal.

I just don't like being stranded.
my jeep is a pain in the [Removed] to start in the winter.

was that when you had your problem?
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

Quote:

did you try and summons Superman?
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

No issues last winter. It started off with the "no starter rotation" issue in early june if I had to put a time fram on it. Worst was today, having to have someone else tap it while I started it, before I would just sit there and turn the key back and forth and eventually the damn thing would catch and start.

The fuel pump issue happened maybe early july... mid july. I was headed to work one day and it just stopped snding fuel and it died on the highway... 20 minutes of intermittent cranking at 15 second intervals with 2 minute breaks and it eventually primed the pump and got me to work. But within a week it needed replaced as it failed 3 more times.
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
No issues last winter. It started off with the "no starter rotation" issue in early june if I had to put a time fram on it. Worst was today, having to have someone else tap it while I started it, before I would just sit there and turn the key back and forth and eventually the damn thing would catch and start.

The fuel pump issue happened maybe early july... mid july. I was headed to work one day and it just stopped snding fuel and it died on the highway... 20 minutes of intermittent cranking at 15 second intervals with 2 minute breaks and it eventually primed the pump and got me to work. But within a week it needed replaced as it failed 3 more times.
yep sounds like a bad pump
Unread 09-09-2009, 02:29 AM   #13
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

I have had quite a few bad starters/alternators that would start if you hit them. I usually a wooden handle and give it a very nice whack. Bad internal contacts/solenoid etc... replace.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 02:35 AM   #14
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Brian is thinking he needs a steel plate under that tank of his.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 03:12 AM   #15
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadass View Post
Brian is thinking he needs a steel plate under that tank of his.
oh lawd!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.