Possible electrical/charging system issue. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Possible electrical/charging system issue.

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 11-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
GCherokee2001

Possible electrical/charging system issue.

Model: 2001 GC Laredo, 4.0

Problem: Go to start up this morning, cranking very slow and sluggish then eventually just clicking. Then not really wanting to re-crank again. Tried jump starting from another car and using one of those portable 12V multistations. She'll crank over slightly better, but still fails to start.

Symptoms: About a month ago, I had UHAUL put a receiver hitch and wiring kit on it. About two weeks after that, while driving, I started to notice random times when the radio would crackle(like interference), dash lights would dim/flicker, headlights would dim/flicker, and the ABS and BRAKE dash indicators would light up and stay on for a while. Engine would stumble a bit, as if it wanted to stall, but then return to running normal when the glitch stopped. Then the glitch would go away and be fine for a couple of days/weeks again. About Monday or Tuesday, problem came back, on my way home one night. Have also noted the symptoms during the day so not just a night driving issue. Today during lunch, I did notice that almost all the battery cells were low on water which leads me to think that it could be a charging system issue.

Solutions: Battery is a DieHard Gold that is not even two years old yet. What do you guys think it could be? Could I have a short somewhere? Could it be a computer problem? Charging issue possibly with the alternator or battery? I'm trying to find the problem while it's stuck in my driveway before I have to have it towed to a shop. Taking the battery and alternator up to Autozone tonight just to make sure, but would a faulty alternator really cause it not to fire up if it's cranking over?

1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 (Hers)
- Rancho RS9000's
- BFG All-Terrains 235/75 R-15
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- K&N Filter
GCherokee2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.