Possible electrical/charging system issue. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Possible electrical/charging system issue.

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
GCherokee2001

Possible electrical/charging system issue.

Model: 2001 GC Laredo, 4.0

Problem: Go to start up this morning, cranking very slow and sluggish then eventually just clicking. Then not really wanting to re-crank again. Tried jump starting from another car and using one of those portable 12V multistations. She'll crank over slightly better, but still fails to start.

Symptoms: About a month ago, I had UHAUL put a receiver hitch and wiring kit on it. About two weeks after that, while driving, I started to notice random times when the radio would crackle(like interference), dash lights would dim/flicker, headlights would dim/flicker, and the ABS and BRAKE dash indicators would light up and stay on for a while. Engine would stumble a bit, as if it wanted to stall, but then return to running normal when the glitch stopped. Then the glitch would go away and be fine for a couple of days/weeks again. About Monday or Tuesday, problem came back, on my way home one night. Have also noted the symptoms during the day so not just a night driving issue. Today during lunch, I did notice that almost all the battery cells were low on water which leads me to think that it could be a charging system issue.

Solutions: Battery is a DieHard Gold that is not even two years old yet. What do you guys think it could be? Could I have a short somewhere? Could it be a computer problem? Charging issue possibly with the alternator or battery? I'm trying to find the problem while it's stuck in my driveway before I have to have it towed to a shop. Taking the battery and alternator up to Autozone tonight just to make sure, but would a faulty alternator really cause it not to fire up if it's cranking over?

1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 (Hers)
- Rancho RS9000's
- BFG All-Terrains 235/75 R-15
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- K&N Filter
GCherokee2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.