Is it possible to change stock bolt pattern? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is it possible to change stock bolt pattern?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-09-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
boilingpoint

Is it possible to change stock bolt pattern?

Hi there,

I have a 93 JGC with the stock 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern. Is there an economical way to change the bolt pattern to the new 5 x 5.0" found on the new JGC?

Thanks.

Al

boilingpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Yes,
you can buy wheel spacers that will do this. No, I don't know why you would want to or where you can get them. Spidertrax used to carry them.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2004, 12:32 AM   #3
boilingpoint

The only reason I want to change my bolt pattern is because I can get a really good deal on a set of 1999 JGC Limited wheels. 99 and up JGC have a 5 x 5.0" bolt pattern.
Unread 05-10-2004, 01:16 AM   #4
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

AIM Industries -- 7th listing from the top.

I really don't know why you'd want to go to a 5x5 (5x127). Is a horrible pattern. Another thing you will want to check before you go off ordering those wheels, is the backspacing. The 99+ 16x7 wheel has a 6" backspace. I don't know what comes stock on the ZJ, but you may want to check it out...you may not even be able to fit these wheels on your ride.
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2004, 04:56 AM   #5
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha_Kip
AIM Industries -- 7th listing from the top.

I really don't know why you'd want to go to a 5x5 (5x127). Is a horrible pattern. Another thing you will want to check before you go off ordering those wheels, is the backspacing. The 99+ 16x7 wheel has a 6" backspace. I don't know what comes stock on the ZJ, but you may want to check it out...you may not even be able to fit these wheels on your ride.
I believe stock backspacing on a ZJ is 5" but if you use a 1" spacer to get the bolt pattern right you would return to the standard backspacing. I have been told to be wary of wheel spacers for no other reason than they are often illegal and would thus void your insurance in an accident should the insurance company find out you used them (the accident doesn't need to be caused by the illegal part for your insurance company to walk away).

Sounds like a lot of trouble to go to just for a set of wheels, like, I would understand if they were 22" spinners like my homey Puma has
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2004, 06:45 PM   #6
boilingpoint

Yeah you guys are right. What am I thinking?? Thanks for setting me straight.
Unread 05-10-2004, 08:17 PM   #7
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilingpoint
Yeah you guys are right. What am I thinking?? Thanks for setting me straight.

Hey, we used to use them to fit Chevy wheels on Volkswagens in the '70's.
As for being unlawful, I have never heard such a thing. I never had a problem passing Florida inspections in the olden days. Of course, things do change over time, but I find it difficult to understand how a company would be allowed to sell something that was patently unlawful.
I think the '99 Limited wheel is a pretty good looking wheel. Of course, it would have to be a really good deal to offset the cost of the spacers, as well as all the trouble involved (as stated by djorkboy). Kip, I would love to know what makes the 5x5 a horrible pattern. Bolt patterns on wheels is not something I have ever spent much time on, so most of it is a mystery to me. Heck, I once owned a set of slotted Craigers (that means the bolt holes were oblong so they would fit on most any car)!
Unread 05-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #8
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
Kip, I would love to know what makes the 5x5 a horrible pattern.
Currently, there is only one vehicle in the entire world that uses the 5x5 lug pattern....that is the WJ. In the past...say 20 years...there was only one other vehicle that used this lug pattern...the 1995-2000 Chevy/GMC full-size trucks that carried the 5-lug pattern. With just these two vehicles carrying this lug pattern, it doesn't leave too many options if you would want to change wheels. ie....finding wheels is a complete *****.

Last edited by Buddha_Kip; 05-10-2004 at 08:31 PM..
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2004, 09:13 PM   #9
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Currently, there is only one vehicle in the entire world that uses the 5x5 lug pattern....that is the WJ. In the past...say 20 years...there was only one other vehicle that used this lug pattern...the 1995-2000 Chevy/GMC full-size trucks that carried the 5-lug pattern. With just these two vehicles carrying this lug pattern, it doesn't leave too many options if you would want to change wheels. ie....finding wheels is a complete *****.

94 and up mustangs also have a 5 lug pattern although it's a 5 X 4.5...and your right finding wheels for a WJ is a biznitch.

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2004, 06:45 AM   #10
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

OIC, that makes sense, thanks
I was trying to figure out if the 5x5 was weaker in some way...
Now I know

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.