possible bad BCM? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > possible bad BCM?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
Muzramp
1997 ZJ 

possible bad BCM?

hi, today while driving, after i parked my jeep and turned it off, I noticed when I went to start the jeep, my Guages stop working, infinity amp stop working, power windows, locks, mirrors, stopped working and the dome lights dont go on when a door is opened, key fob doesn't work. I checked the fuses for everything I could find with BCM in it. all the fuses look good, I'm going to replace them anyways to see if that is the issue.

where is the BCM located so I could possibly grab one from a junk yard and replace it.
what do you guys think the issue may be?

Muzramp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

I'm curious as to what a BCM is? I've never heard of a BCM?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Muzramp
1997 ZJ 

Body Control Module. :P also forgot to mention, I did check the wiring in the boot for driver door. The wiring is completely fine.
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Did you check your battery terminals?
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
Muzramp
1997 ZJ 

yep, i even disconnected the terminals for a few minutes to reset.
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCrabtree View Post
I'm curious as to what a BCM is? I've never heard of a BCM?
BCM is used in 96-98 ZJ's. Our earlier ZJ's have many more discreet wires.

BODY CONTROL MODULE

"A Body Control Module (BCM) is used on this model to control and integrate many of the vehicle’s electrical functions and features. The BCM contains a central processing unit and interfaces with other modules in the vehicle on the Chrysler Collision Detection (CCD) data bus network. The CCD data bus network allows the sharing of sensor information. This helps to reduce wiring harness complexity, reduce internal controller hardware, and reduce component sensor current loads. At the same time, this system provides increased reliability, enhanced diagnostics, and allows the addition of many new feature capabilities."
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Muzramp
1997 ZJ 

Well, I got a BCM from the junkyard. It still didn't fix the issue, anyone have any ideas?
Unread 05-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ

BCM is used in 96-98 ZJ's. Our earlier ZJ's have many more discreet wires.

BODY CONTROL MODULE

"A Body Control Module (BCM) is used on this model to control and integrate many of the vehicle’s electrical functions and features. The BCM contains a central processing unit and interfaces with other modules in the vehicle on the Chrysler Collision Detection (CCD) data bus network. The CCD data bus network allows the sharing of sensor information. This helps to reduce wiring harness complexity, reduce internal controller hardware, and reduce component sensor current loads. At the same time, this system provides increased reliability, enhanced diagnostics, and allows the addition of many new feature capabilities."
Thanks for the explanation!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Muzramp
1997 ZJ 

I bought new battery terminals, that didn't fix it. I'm assuming the BCM from the JY is bad itself, ordering a different from ebay. i'll let you know what happens.
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

I'm not trying to hijack your thread muzramp, but it seems uncalled for to make a whole new thread for such a simple question. Where is the BCM? I couldn't find mine for the life of me, and I think some solder joints are going bad in it and would obviously like to reflow them.

Unfortunately I don't have a diagnosis for your problem, but I would start there. Maybe open up the old BCM and take a look around and see if anything seems amiss.
Unread 05-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

clean the terminals on the battery. also wouldnt be a bad idea to go to an auto parts store and ask them to test the battery. might be bad.
Unread 05-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #12
Muzramp
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by massarosareloud View Post
I'm not trying to hijack your thread muzramp, but it seems uncalled for to make a whole new thread for such a simple question. Where is the BCM? I couldn't find mine for the life of me, and I think some solder joints are going bad in it and would obviously like to reflow them.

Unfortunately I don't have a diagnosis for your problem, but I would start there. Maybe open up the old BCM and take a look around and see if anything seems amiss.
It's located under the driver dash, right under the light switches. Take off the panel under the light switch, and there is a sheet of metal with 4 screws covering it, the bcm is not visible because it is behind it. Once you unscrew it disconnect the plugs going into it. Then slide it out it is a little tricky to wiggle out.
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
Muzramp
1997 ZJ 

Turns out it was just a bad fuse; the big maxi fuse under the hood for power windows,locks and all that jazz. I guess I skipped that one when checking fuses... The PO had a 20 in there instead of a 50..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.