popping when turning - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > popping when turning

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 09-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Scottso699
2006 WK 

Could be the ball joints in the knuckles - mine are shot and when I turn in reverse out of a parking spot you hear a pop sound.

2006 WK Overland - K&N CAI, Superchips Programmer, Dynomax Ultra Flo Muffler, 265/70r17 BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain Tires, 1.25" Wheel Spacers, OME HD Lift, Monroe F150 Load Assist Shocks
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 12:14 AM   #17
TINTINUAE
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottso699 View Post
Could be the ball joints in the knuckles - mine are shot and when I turn in reverse out of a parking spot you hear a pop sound.
I am having the same issue as you Scott. When I reverse and turn the wheel to the right it seems to pop on the front left wheel. I can feel it under my feet if they are on the cab floor. I guess it is the knuckle ball joint, makes sense really. I also have some bad bushings though which I am swapping out for Daystar poly's over the next couple of weeks so this may remedy it a little I hope.
TINTINUAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #18
NEp8ntballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINTINUAE View Post
I am having the same issue as you Scott. When I reverse and turn the wheel to the right it seems to pop on the front left wheel. I can feel it under my feet if they are on the cab floor. I guess it is the knuckle ball joint, makes sense really. I also have some bad bushings though which I am swapping out for Daystar poly's over the next couple of weeks so this may remedy it a little I hope.
I already checked the balljoints. I lifted up the front tires and gave em a healthy shake front and back and there was no movement.

I'm fairly certain I've managed to wear out the track bar. I can do it from a dead stop and standing outside of the vehicle with a hand on the wheel moving it back and forth about 120* I can get it to pop every time. I put a foot on the wheel most recently and I can't feel it very well at all but when I placed my hand on the top of the fender I could feel it very clearly when it popped. so if it isn't the track bar I feel I can confidently say it's most definitely something attached to the unibody.
NEp8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #19
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

That is exactly to the T of what mine is doing.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
ISUzj
2005 WK 

I had that 2 weeks ago, the trackbar bolts were loose and did the exact same thing. I called it a rolling creak, it would creak and groan when i turned the wheel in park and when driving it would pop, pop, pop....The place where the trackbar connects to the "frame" were loose....

Tighten the **** out of all the trackbar bolts.
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
NEp8ntballer

I managed to get under it while I had somebody turn the wheel and the bushing on the track bar creaks with a ton of play. it probably has about 1/2 inch of movement left-right. I think my overly zealous buddy managed to cook the bushing when he welded the washer on. the only other thing it could be is one of my control arms. I put a hand on most everywhere except the control arms and I could feel it pop on the track bar but it didn't transfer over to the steering linkage.

edit: repeated the test but this time checking the control arms on the drivers side and the best place where I can feel it pop is the track bar.
NEp8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.