Popping noise front suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Popping noise front suspension

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
givingtheheat
1998 ZJ 

Popping noise front suspension

1998 zj.

Just replaced the front ball joints and tie rod ends and now im getting a popping noise when turning.

Could not getting a alignment cause popping?

I greased fittings a little bit also and wd-40d the hell out of it.

givingtheheat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by givingtheheat View Post
1998 zj.

Just replaced the front ball joints and tie rod ends and now im getting a popping noise when turning.

Could not getting a alignment cause popping?

I greased fittings a little bit also and wd-40d the hell out of it.
Re check all of the nuts and triple check the track bar. If the noise was not there before you made the repairs it's obviously something that happened during.

Also never use WD-40 as a lubricant. It's a solvent and will de grease everything.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Also never use WD-40 as a lubricant. It's a solvent and will de grease everything.
I learned this the hard way with my serpentine belt. WD-40 dries out rubber.

Are you sure the ball joints were fully seated when you pushed them in? Sway bar link and tie rod end nuts torqued down?

My ZJ did this after I replaced all my tie rod ends. One of them wasn't tight enough and it was moving up and down against the knuckle.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
I learned this the hard way with my serpentine belt. WD-40 dries out rubber.
Mineral spirits with some cheap oil

Quote:
Formulation

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[4][7] WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

51% Stoddard solvent
25% liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+% mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-% inert ingredients

The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety-relevant ingredients:

6080% heavy naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
15% carbon dioxide

It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
givingtheheat
1998 ZJ 

Ball joints were fully seated yes, gonna recheck the bolts on the tie rod ends cause it is coming from the one that was causing problems from the front left.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
givingtheheat
1998 ZJ 

The noise is coming from the front driver side, could replacing everything but the track bar cause it now pop and make noises when turning.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

When my track bar was bad it would pop during turns. Just make sure it's not the CV shaft on that side too.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

jack up the tire..put your hands at 10 and 2 then 5 and 7 and shake. See if it wobbles.
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
givingtheheat
1998 ZJ 

Its the track bar, thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.