popping noise in front end when turning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > popping noise in front end when turning

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
megan8706
1993 ZJ 

popping noise in front end when turning

Ok, I have a 1993 grand cherokee laredo, everytime I make a sharper turn it makes a horrible popping noise in the front end and the front tires start pulling. Its all time 4wheel drive, but as far as I know it shouldn't be making that noise. Any ideas on what it could be are appreciated!

megan8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Have you checked your CV boots?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
megan8706
1993 ZJ 

I'm not sure if it has u joints or the cv joints.
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
megan8706
1993 ZJ 

I asked the guy I got it from and he said he checked everything, so I'm not really sure what's going on with it.
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
BeachRig1
1995 ZJ 

You put 3 key words in the same sentence- sharp turn, front wheels pulling, and full time 4WD. Could be symptoms of a bad viscous coupler in xfer case. Bad VC's do not allow slippage and basically lock up the drivetrain when you put the truck into tight turns. My VC was so bad it started plowing by dad's shell driveway when I turned it around. Try doing low speed figure 8's in an empty parking lot to check your VC. If you hear wheels chirping- bad VC. Bad VCs are hard on drivetrain parts, especially CV joints. Your CV joint may be on the way out. If you have busted boots on your joints, replace the axle shafts on both sides. However, consider looking at your VC as well. It could be contributing to premature drivetrain wear.

Was the guy you bought the Jeep from a Jeep enthusiast? I'm not saying that you are at all, but VC's are easily hidden from unscrupulous buyers, and sometimes owners, because the symptoms are not constant. A quick test drive around the block will not sort out a VC coupler problem. Its only in those tighter turns do the symptoms present themselves. Now, if they owner did his research or had the vehicle looked at by a mechanic and the VC was bad, the part is $400 straight up, without labor, and maybe this is how you came to purchase the vehicle? How long have you had it, how long has this popping noise been present and did you get an unusually good deal on the ole ZJ for the mileage?
BeachRig1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
megan8706
1993 ZJ 

Its not sharp turns, its basically any turn that I don't swing wide. Like pulling into a parking spot or pulling out of a parking spot
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Knocking noise would typically be the front CV's. I'd describe a bad VC as a bucking when turning. Both mine and my Dad's ZJ need the VC's repaired one way or another..... but I just did the CV's on my 94 and that fixed my knocking noise.
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yea, I was hoping it wouldn't be the VC for you but it sounds about right. Clicking and popping would be bad CV's. When the VC goes it hops and bumps in turns and will wear out the outside of the front tires faster than normal. You can continue to drive it like that but eventually it will totally fail. New VC is about 300 bucks. A 242 or 231 transfer case is under 200. You could swap one out for cheaper than it is to repair the 249. Another thing to check are your ball joints to see if they are worn out.

If you have the 249 case then you have CV joints.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ball joints?

CV's\ujoints would be popping,
Wheel bearings would be grinding ALL the time, or at least most of the time.
Ball joint could cause this.

*edit*
Sounds like CV\ujoints joints if you're experiencing popping, the 'pulling' to one side or another could be binding.
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
BeachRig1
1995 ZJ 

Yep- another key word "parking spots" for bad VC. VC's bind up the drivetrain and the CVs take the brunt of the force in and out of tight areas like parking spots. No doubt CVs are your problem. Replace them and ride, but undertsand that VC could still be the root cause. Good luck!
BeachRig1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Like everybody says, its the VC and your cv boots are probably next. My step dads 94 5.2 has a fried VC and just driving with it like that has fried the cv boots..Thankfully we're getting rid of that thing soon.
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

My steering box did this. You could see it leaking from the bottom before it took a dump.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
megan8706
1993 ZJ 

Ok guys thanks tons I'm gunna have it checked out by the mechanic I got it from and have him check the things you have suggested here...I just don't want something bad to happen and cause me to wreck with my babies in the jeep with me
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
megan8706
1993 ZJ 

Ok guys, before I could get the mechanic to look at it, it rained lastnight and I drove it thismorning, and now it isn't making the popping noises mentioned earlier....maybe something just needs to be greased??
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
galexanderaz09

Haha I had a ZJ with many popping cracking and knocking noises. First it was the u joints then it was the bairings so I finally got pissed off enuf that I had both axles and the drive line rebuilt to clean up the sound and it worked allot of the sound out of it all just so still have a popping sound in the front end when I got to the bottom of it it was as simple as whenever I would take a sharp turn the coil springs would flex and slip over the bump stop. Fu** me, right. Atleast after all that the jeep was great!
galexanderaz09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.