Popping in front when taking off, or speeding up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Popping in front when taking off, or speeding up

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-28-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
dbtolman

Popping in front when taking off, or speeding up

Independant of whether or not the wheels are turned, I get popping noises when I hit the gas a little harder than normal to get some extra speed. They "feel" like they're coming from the differential up front, but I've had one bad axle replaced, and had the entire third-member, and pinion bearings replaced and the noise is still there.

Before I had the diff worked on, and after the axle was replaced, it bound up and popped very loudly as I turned the wheels right and backed up. When it did this, it actually shook the front end of the jeep up and down as I pulled out and it stopped popping.

It's a 95 GC, Full-Time 4WD. Over 100,000 miles.

Idea's? Viscous Coupler???

dbtolman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2006, 01:04 AM   #2
GreenDean
1995 ZJ 

I would say bad CV joints but I dont think they used them yet in 1995.
GreenDean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2006, 01:30 AM   #3
dbtolman

They did, actually. I replaced the right axle, complete with new CV, since it was bad and the popping seemed to be coming from that side. After that, it felt like the popping moved towards the center... The other CV Joint and Axle are fine.
Unread 07-28-2006, 01:58 AM   #4
zjhitman

I would check two things. Motor mounts and the ball/socket joints at the upper ends of the front sway bar. You may have to use a pry bar to check the joints if the rubber boots are still intact. What is underneath is basically just a small ball joint. They cannot be lubricated and over time they wear out and the ball chews it's way out of the socket. Mine had over .25 inch vertical play and it took me a long time before I found where the popping was coming from. The ball end of the joint is attached to a tapered stud that goes up thru the sway bar and has a nut on top. They rust up inside and can be a bear to get apart.
Unread 07-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
fr3db3ar

Wow..your jeep has a 3rd member up front??? I want that version oke:
Unread 07-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
dwills898

I have similar very loud popping when accelerating, i think mine is coming from my transfer case, it is leaking allot of fluid, i took the front driveshaft off and the popping stoppe.
dwills898 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Bad u joints in the drive shaft?

Charlie
(Did y'all miss me? )
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #8
dbtolman

Remembered that my tranny mechanic pulled the txfr case apart and inpsected it when he did my tranny, and today I called to talk to him... He said that the Viscous Coupler is good, and everything else in the txfr case is good... So, now I know the Diff and Txfr case are good... Barring suspension issues or mounts, is there anything else simple that I can look for, given that the two complex parts are OK? I'm afraid to drive it now, since I don't know what's wrong!
Unread 07-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
joeyschribar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwills898
I have similar very loud popping when accelerating, i think mine is coming from my transfer case, it is leaking allot of fluid, i took the front driveshaft off and the popping stoppe.
\

modt likely the chain in your t-case is loose and slapping around in the caseing, i had the exact same problem, and when the front driveshaft was out, the noise was gone as well,/// i hope that helps you!
joeyschribar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #10
dbtolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyschribar
\

modt likely the chain in your t-case is loose and slapping around in the caseing, i had the exact same problem, and when the front driveshaft was out, the noise was gone as well,/// i hope that helps you!
Is this something that could easily be overlooked when a mechanic has the case apart? If so, perhaps I simply need to buy a good, used Txfr case... I actually use the 4WD feature, so I'd rather keep my d-shaft in place...

Thanks for the info!
Unread 08-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #11
dbtolman

Well crap.

Been OK, not popping on turns for awhile... Today, I made a turn and the popping was worse than ever, and didn't "unbind" and start driving again so quickly... In fact, when it was doing this, if I let off the gas (even on a down-slope), the vehicle wouldn't go until I straightened the wheels, and gave some gas to unbind the (whatever the &%^% it was)...

Sounds like CV Axles, right? Only, of course, I've had them checked out- and one of them was bad and replaced... Plus, there's the rebuilt diff, txfr case, etc., which all check out well... So I'm VERY confused now. (

Also,
HELP!
Unread 08-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
Wilder

I've had the same issue with my 94 GC.. would "pop" when changing direction, or pop when first applying the brakes or accellerating, worsened if the actions are more demanding then normal. I dug through everything on the front end. Drive shaft, axles, steering, ball joints, sticking brakes.. everything. i was about to give up, and laying under the jeep thinking happy thoughts when i noticed the transfer case crossmember was loose on the one side... Applied some blue loctite, tightened it back up, and hasn't made a noise since.

Another time on my old ford ranger, i had a popping sound from the front, and it even locked up the front end when in 4wd. Turned out that one was teeth coming off the front diff. By the time i got out of the spot we were 4x4ing, it had pretty much chewed all the teeth off the ring, and even punched a hole in the diff housing..

But in the middle of nowhere, i did all i could in 2wd to get out of that situation. besides, a jar full of metal teeth looks good on the shelf with the rest of the broken parts.
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #13
skier4life16

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticrombie
Bad u joints in the drive shaft?

Charlie
(Did y'all miss me? )
Ya that is probably it. CV's make more of a slapping sound and its usually when your turning. My 96 GMC Jimmy made a clicking noise when I first got going, or accelerated and it was a U joint.
skier4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #14
dbtolman

When in neutral, and rolling, the Drive-shaft will still turn since it's connected to the diff, RIGHT?

If that's the case, I guess the U-Joints could be going bad... When I'm turned all the way to one direction or the other does that put more stress on the U-joints in the driveshaft? Dumb question, I know, but I'm grasping here...
Unread 08-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #15
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Check those U-joints, if they are ok it is the chain in your TC, it has devloped some slack.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.