Poor gas mileage - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Poor gas mileage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-30-2003, 06:16 AM   #16
Rockhound79
1998 ZJ 

I just got my Jeep back from my shop after this:

Got new Champion plugs, the old ones were worn out.
Got new wires, rotor, cap.
Got MotorVac cleaning for the fuel system, which as I'm told has a significant positive effect on gas mileage. That ran about $125.
I'm going to wait one or two fill ups and see if my mileage has changed at all. The only other things now are the K&N air filter and possibly a new fuel filter and PCV valve. I don't think I need any fuel system additive after the MotorVac.
I'll tell you what happens soon.

Rockhound79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2003, 02:36 PM   #17
smiley

K&N Filter

I have a slightly used (less than 1000 miles) on the K&N filter for the stock air box. I switched to the FIPK kit and have the other for sale $30 and you pay for the shipping. These filter are rated for 1,000,000 miles with proper cleaning. Just get a recharger kit at any parts store for about $15. I'll have this one cleaned and ready to go if you are interested.
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2003, 11:10 AM   #18
automan25

Will it fit a '93 ZJ V8? If so, then I'll buy it from you.
Unread 05-02-2003, 11:23 AM   #19
smiley

K&N Filter

I just measured it and the demensions are 9.75 x 11.5 inches. I am not sure of the size of your air box. The K&N part number is 33-2048.
Unread 05-02-2003, 11:25 AM   #20
smiley

Filter Size

I just checked and it will fit your box

http://www.martelbros.com/cgi-bin/store/ws_mysql.cgi
Unread 05-10-2003, 03:52 PM   #21
Rockhound79
1998 ZJ 

smiley thanks for the filter offer but i think im ok for now.
since last post, ive seen and increase of about 2 m.p.g., but i need more fuel consumption data to verify that. i guess it was the motorvac that helped.
by the way, what do you guys think of the acceleration of grand cherokees? my former car was a '89 chevy blazer s-10 and it had some good speed and power. the jeep is not as fast nor does it seem to accelerate as quickly.
Rockhound79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2003, 04:23 PM   #22
automan25

I think the Jeep is quite heavier than the blazer as well. Weight makes a big difference, even with a V8 under the hood. It's also a pretty weak V8. Chrysler hasn't done much to massage any power out of it.

I might add though that it does have pretty decent power above 3000RPM. Try starting from a stop in 1st gear and accelerating to about 4000, then shift into 2nd. It's suddenly a lot more powerful. Personally I'm greatful that the automatic tranny doesn't have a very aggressive shift pattern. Imagine how bad the gas mileage would be then?

Last edited by automan25; 05-10-2003 at 04:26 PM..
automan25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2003, 11:17 PM   #23
pHaZe5unIt1

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas ZJ1

I get about 11 to 12 city and 17 to 18 highway.

Hunter
SAME HERE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.