PO720 : Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > PO720 : Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 01-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

PO720 : Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Check engine light PO720 came back on after I cleared it yesterday. Output Speed Sensor Malfunction. This came on after I went from a 35 speed gear to a 31 tooth. The spedometer still works though and is more accurate. What should I Do?

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 04:19 AM   #2
jetdude

Hi, if you have a 42RE tranny there are 2 speed sensors. one is the vehicle speed sensor which is bolted to the speedometer adapter which mates with the speedometer pinion located on the drivers side of the overdrive housing and the other one is the transmission output speed sensor located just forward of the vehicle speed sensor and it is screwed into the housing. It sounds like you were tinkering with the vehicle speed sensor. the transmission output speed sensor is relatively cheap even at the dealer, less than $25 and can be swapped out easily. check the wires to the connectors and make sure they have not torn out. I had the wires tear out of the transmision speed sensor on mine and it had a delayed and hard shifting but no check engine light. after I repaired the wires the trans shifted like new again. after you replace the output speed sensor if you decide to I read here in this forum somewhere that if you disconnect the battery both wires for 50 or 60 minutes the check engine light will go out but I never had the occasion to try it. One other thing. did you get the indexing correct when you removed the vehicle speed sensor and speedometer adapter from the housing? If you google for 42RE diagram you will get a hit on the 42RE manual and I think on page 21-47 there is an explanation of how to index the speedometer adapter.hope this helps

Last edited by jetdude; 01-26-2009 at 02:30 PM..
jetdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.