Please tell me it's not a blown head gasket! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Please tell me it's not a blown head gasket!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

Please tell me it's not a blown head gasket!

So my 96 ZJ has been leaking some antifreeze lately and I cant help but notice that it's coming from right above the water pump. So, that leaves me to think the water pump gasket is bad. The water pump was replaced brand new mid april, so I'm pretty sure it's not the pump itself. Earlier today, when I got to work, I noticed it wasn't just a "once in awhile drip", it was dripping with a pattern of every second. My friend said he tried doing his best to seal it up without removing the pump, and after I got it back, it wasn't dripping. Me and my buddies went mudding, and after awhile of that, it was running around 215-220 F and slightly steaming, started heading out and tried gettin to a gas station asap. On the way there, temp went to 230, then shot to 260 with "Check Gauges" light on. Pulled over, opened the hood, and steam was coming out. The antifreeze was just completely spitting out, not from the pulley though. Got to a gas station, but about 10 sec before we got there, "Check Gauges" started flashing and temp was over 260. Got to the gas station, popped the hood, and a cloud of white steam poured out everywhere. Got a hose, hosed it down to cool it off. The rad was completely empty, as well as the overflow tank. Filled those up, and drove approx. 2-3 miles, then it started leaking and temp went back up to 230. Stopped at another gas station, and left it there while I went to a meeting for an hour. I forgot to add water/antifreeze, and when I started it back up after sitting for that hour, it was around 200, drove about 3 miles and it was going right back up to 230, got home, hosed it down, and it's now sitting, getting some rest.

I'm really hoping it's just the water pump gasket, and it does look like that would be the problem.
Any opinions?

(Sold) 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited: V8 5.2L, 2" BB, 31" Dick Cepeks.
(Sold) 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 4.7L, Stock.
(Sold) 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 5.2L ,3.5" lift, 32" Tires
97DCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Probably just the WP or t-stat gasket (or a hose).
Head gaskets usually leak internally. You would not see it dripping, the coolant would go into the crankcase, or the oil would go into the cooling system.
Check your oil.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

Doing an oil change thurs actually. I'll find out how bad it is then.
I'm 99% sure it isn't the water pump itself because that's only about 4 months old
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96DCZJ View Post
Doing an oil change thurs actually. I'll find out how bad it is then.
I'm 99% sure it isn't the water pump itself because that's only about 4 months old
I'm not saying the WP itself..I'm saying the gasket. Or the t-stat gskt. Or a hose Or a clamp.....
Although don't discount the pump itself...wouldn't be the first time a WP (especially a reman) was bad out of the box...

It's not likeley a head gasket with an external leak like you describe.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

Yeah i was told by my friends dad (my normal mechanic) said if it was a blown head gasket, I wouldn't be able to see the antifreeze leaking
Unread 08-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
I'm not saying the WP itself..I'm saying the gasket. Or the t-stat gskt. Or a hose Or a clamp.....
Although don't discount the pump itself...wouldn't be the first time a WP (especially a reman) was bad out of the box...

It's not likeley a head gasket with an external leak like you describe.
i had a Head gasket that leaked Externally! i even got the pics to prove it lol i got lucky 1 in a million mine leaked out instead of in!
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
nwfjarhead
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm guessing something simple such as what was mentioned above. I will say that you should never hose a hot engine down because you run the risk of cracking the block. Ive seen it done and its not pretty. good luck
Unread 08-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #8
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwfjarhead View Post
I'm guessing something simple such as what was mentioned above. I will say that you should never hose a hot engine down because you run the risk of cracking the block. Ive seen it done and its not pretty. good luck
x2 if you want it to cool down faster put a Huge sho fan in front of it with the hood up. No no no no on hot block cold water.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 01:00 AM   #9
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'll also add that if you overheated it 2 or 3 times esp with no water in the block if you didn't have a blown head gasket before you just might now.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 01:01 AM   #10
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

This may be a stupid thought on my part, because I have never done a jeep's water pump and I know that the water pump on my caddy is radically different from all the muscle cars and foreign cars that I did replace water pumps on, but if there are bolts, have you check them to see if they are all tight enough ...
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #11
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96DCZJ View Post
It could be a bad sourced part. I have seen it happen lots of times. It is a crap shoot with new parts. New certainly does not necessarily mean better. I always look for a good six months to a year as soak time. After that, if a new part has not failed, then it was probably a good new part. Also, the pump could have been damaged on the install or the new RTV seal might not have been good enough. It is easy to botch if you are not careful.
Unread 08-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #12
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Freeze plug leaking is possible?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

The cold water on the hot engine was a bad idea, but i wasn't really thinking about that much when my temp gauge was over 260 with smoke pouring out from under my hood.

i will admit, if it's a cracked or blown head gasket...i'll see if my truck applies for C4C. It's the only way. Butttt I'll worry about that if it even is that problem.
Unread 08-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I don't want to start an argument here guys, but I have been washing hot golf course equipment for 30 years and just yesterday I hosed off my tractors motor after running it hard for 3 hours...

I do kind of mist it on a first however ... I have done it hundreds and hundreds of times to no ill effect ...
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
nwfjarhead
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
I don't want to start an argument here guys, but I have been washing hot golf course equipment for 30 years and just yesterday I hosed off my tractors motor after running it hard for 3 hours...

I do kind of mist it on a first however ... I have done it hundreds and hundreds of times to no ill effect ...
theres a chance that you'll have no problems for the next 30 years but it only takes once. I watched a guy a while back overheat his truck and do what th op did and spray it down to cool it and next thing you know all of the coolant was pouring out from the bottom of the block. I myself have put cold water into a hot engine and had the same result. not to argue but I have learned my lesson and I hope noone has to learn it the way i did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.