JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   PLEASE read and offer insight, which one to buy..(last post, promise!) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/please-read-offer-insight-one-buy-last-post-promise-197456/)

Jetjock16 09-29-2005 10:36 PM

PLEASE read and offer insight, which one to buy..(last post, promise!)

Sorry for buggin you guys!! As some of you know ive been looking for a few weeks for a WJ for me and wife.. her daily driver... we have kind of decided we want a limited, black, V8 4x4, with the dark grey interior... ANYWAY have done tons of looking and have it narrowed down to two that im trying to decide between... they are on WAY differnt ends of the spectrum of price vs quality... help me with what you think is the better deal in long run and why...

I have looked at them both and will continue to investigate for issues, but for this disscussion please assume that both are in as perfect condition as they can be for there age....

1. Is 2000 Limited 4x4 V8, black w/ grey interior with 70k miles on it, ASKING price is $12,900....

2. Is 2004 "Special Edition" 4x4 V8 black w/grey interior with 27k miles on it ASKING $19,900....

My thoughts, this vehicle is for my wife mostly for daily driver, we will be moving to alaska soon(military) and i want her to enjoy the reliability and driveability of the quad trac system for ice and snow conditions... We will keep this vehicle and drive it well over 200k miles and 10 years if it will last(ie... keeping it for long run)...
Yes the newer one would be nice, but barely fits into buget, where as cheaper one would be easier.. BUT i dont want maintence to end up making the older model cost as much in repairs... i dont know that it could cost enough to fill that gap..($7,000)..
Basically if belived the 2000 would last forever w/out problems i would go for it, but i know it has the older style transmission, and brakes, etc, some of these issues may cost me in next couple years where'as the 04 would not.. please give me any adice you can...
Also as i posted in another thread, the 2004 does not have tow package, which i would add myself, would be used to dolly a 2,700lb mazada car behind the jeep for road trip to alaska...
Thanks for everything, you guys rock..
Rob.

EMTimZJ 09-29-2005 10:50 PM

I think the tranny is the same, the only difference is in the computer. They are both the 5 speed auto, just the computer doesn't shift into the second overdrive.

The brake issue is not a horrible one, but it would be nice to have the newer style calipers.

You and your wife will probably enjoy the QuadraDRIVE system over the quadra-trac system.

I doubt that the 2000 will need $7k in repairs compared to the 04.

I they are both in great condition, it is a tough decsion to make... Is 40K fewer miles worth $7K to you?

Its a tough one, lay everything out on the table and see what one looks best.

Woody 09-29-2005 10:51 PM

Rob, which base in Alaska? When are you moving? I highly suggest you ship that car and not tow it. The roads there really stink and you'll probably blow at least one tire. I'm moving there in June, but grew up in MN and saw Canada roads frequently. They are the worst you've ever seen.

I would go with the 2000. The problems mostly came from the 99's. Don't let the miles scare you. I'm at 184,xxx with my 94, and I'm driving it to AK in May. Cost to fix the brake calipers and problems will not equal $7,000. The 4.7L V8 and 5 speed auto have proven to work well. There's a few here running them with 180,000 miles and little or no problems.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Jetjock16 09-29-2005 11:08 PM

thanks for the advice guys, im leaning towards the 2000 anyway just because of the money issue..

Woody: it is the Elmendorf in Anchorage Alaska, i will look into shipping, and vairous other methods like the ferry out of WA etc.... the car is just a cruddy daily commuter rice burner worth maybe $2500, so i wouldnt care too much about what i pulled it through, but i will examine all my options, maybe we'll be hanging out some day up there huh?.. Im in the process of moving from Texas to Oregon first for about a year...

ercrmr 09-29-2005 11:42 PM

Keep in mind if your financing your purchase you can get a longer term on the '04 as opposed to the '00 and probably a lower interest rate as well. If you do get the older one keep some money in reserve just in case you do need any unexpected repairs. Whichever you choose try and take it home overnight and spend some time with it before signing anything. Good luck on your purchase and Thank You for protecting this great country of ours!!!

You too Woody! ;) and any other military guys we have on here.

Texas ZJ1 09-30-2005 04:30 AM

2000 would be my choice.

Hunter

Woody 09-30-2005 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetjock16
thanks for the advice guys, im leaning towards the 2000 anyway just because of the money issue..

Woody: it is the Elmendorf in Anchorage Alaska, i will look into shipping, and vairous other methods like the ferry out of WA etc.... the car is just a cruddy daily commuter rice burner worth maybe $2500, so i wouldnt care too much about what i pulled it through, but i will examine all my options, maybe we'll be hanging out some day up there huh?.. Im in the process of moving from Texas to Oregon first for about a year...

The way it works is the Military will ship one car for free, and you have the option to drive two more up there. They will not pay you to tow it, and the extra few cents for driving isn't worth it. Your TMO office can hook you up with a port where you can take it for free shipping all the way to AK.

I will be about six hours north, however, I'm expecting heavy family traffic during my tour there. So I'll probably be in Anchorage frequently. I'm looking forward to it, Tucson just doesn't work for me. And I'm sick and tired of hearing "It's a dry heat." It's heat, who friggin' cares!! 115 is 115. At least the military buys my boots for me, I go through a pair every two to three months. The rubber melts/burns right off of them in the summer. I guess now I have to worry about freezing to the ground. :laugh:

Jetjock16 09-30-2005 08:38 AM

Thanks for the info so far gusy keep it coming please like ercrmr said, the financing i can get on the 04 is about 1.5% lower then the 00,.... BUT update, someone stormed in and paid cash for the 00 this a.m. when i called the guy at 0900!!!.. Darn thats what i get for not jumping on deals, im the guy who takes it slow...... Anyway there is plenty more out there, but my wife likes the grey leather and sunroof, etc... not all the deals for around $13k have those options..... Well that may make the 04 a little better deal if we dont find a 01/02 to our liking soon.....

doyll 09-30-2005 10:06 AM

Here's a link you may have checked out already. Has lots of info on WJ's like what changes in what year, etc. http://www.wjjeeps.com/

Tow package: On my ZJ package comes with more cooling, more amps in alternator, sometimes lower gearing, etc. If you really want the tow package, get the 2000 and not have to deal with it. Make sure the wiring harness is on hitch. My ZJ has 'tow package prep' which means everything BUT the hitch and wiring harness.

My suggestion is go with the 2000. $7000 goes a long way. Also consider installing a block heater and plug it in with a timer so it starts heating about 1.5 hours before you plan to go out int the dark of winter. Many parking spaces have recepticles to plug in while shopping etc. up there too.

Good Luck!
Lloyd

RAAB3485 09-30-2005 01:37 PM

Or you could buy my 99 with 88k black leather interior for $11,000....... :thumbsup:

ArloGuthroJeep 09-30-2005 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raab3485
Or you could buy my 99 with 88k black leather interior for $11,000....... :thumbsup:

Yeah but I bet there is a scratch/dent in the rear bumper! :D

RAAB3485 09-30-2005 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Yeah but I bet there is a scratch/dent in the rear bumper! :D

SHHHH!!!!! Thats our little secret!

Now that he blew it, I suppose I could probably throw in a new bumper skin.

ArloGuthroJeep=Big Meanie Stinker Face. :laugh:

The time now is 12:44 PM.